Ribblr of the Week - Meet Amelia 🏅

Say hello to Amelia (@crochxt) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Crochxt]

banner

Hey! Happy to have you here, tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! My name is Amelia and I'm the artist behind crochxt. I’m currently a student in Malaysia. I enjoy spending my free time doing “typical grandma activities” such as crafts, reading, baking, watching movies, and taking naps. Doing this interview is slightly out of my comfort zone as I’m pretty introverted and don’t normally like telling others about myself :’) (We appreciate you being here as an artist! - Ribblr)

When did you start crafting and how?
I’ve always loved art and crafts. When I was little, my mom used to do fun crafts with me all the
time. We made bracelets, clothes for my dolls, very disfigured clay animals, etc. My interest in
needlework started around the age of six or seven when my grandmother taught me to sew.

And how did you start designing?
I first started designing in 2021. This was around the time of the Covid lockdown when I began to get better at crocheting and started free-handing simple projects and releasing free beginner amigurumi patterns.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favorite type of craft is by far needlework, particularly crochet and sewing. I find it so cool how a piece of fabric/skein of yarn can be turned into so many different things.

What was the longest project you worked on?
My longest crochet project is probably a blouse I made in 2021 (authentic slow fashion really does take forever). I used the Forest Breeze tee free pattern by @forthefrills.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
The sprout cable tie/bookmark which is a free pattern by @onceuponacheerio. It is so fun to make and can be finished in less than 15 minutes!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’m making a cinnamaroll using @knotmichelle’s 7-in-1 sanrio pattern (yet another free pattern). As for how many wips I currently have, I genuinely have no idea but I’m guessing around 20.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of? Share a picture!
I’d say my hanging plant bear. It was the first pattern I designed that I felt was good enough to sell, and I’m really grateful for all the support it’s gotten so far.

What is your usual process of designing?
I always start by sketching out my design on paper (the finished piece never turns out exactly like the sketch because I simply cannot draw). Then, I try to figure out how to construct it – this often takes a ton of trial and error. I love using Ribblr to note the steps down as I go.

What inspires you to create/design?
One of my favorite ways to combat art block is to look at paintings (especially impressionist paintings) as I find it really inspires me and puts me in a mood to create. I’m also constantly inspired by everything around me, whether it be nature, art, or things I see on screen/through social media.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one, but I just re-watched whisper of the heart. It’s definitely pretty high on the list.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
One of my favorite features is $elFee. I love how designers can earn points to reduce/eliminate excess fees.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
@crochetbucket, she was the one who taught me how to do a magic ring, helped me set up my account, and encouraged me throughout my whole crochet journey. Everything she makes is so cute and unique <3

5 other designers I appreciate!

@tinybunnycrochet

@Smolbeary

@crochetknerd

@knotmichelle

@kelvencrochets

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Crochxt] and all of their amazing patterns!

21 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week! :partying_face::tada:

13 Likes

Thanks <3

9 Likes

Congratulations! Your patterns are adorable!

6 Likes

happy congrats GIF by Ivo Adventures

7 Likes

Congrats on ROTW you have an adorable style! :sparkling_heart::blossom:

5 Likes

congratulations!! :bubbles:

4 Likes

Congrats @crochxt on ROTW

5 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS
I absolutely love your shop and have been following for a while!

4 Likes

Congrats!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for all the support 🫶🏻

2 Likes