Ribblr of the Week - Meet Annick 🏅

Say hello to Annick (@apily) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Apily]

Hey! Happy to have you here, tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! My name’s Annick and I live in the southwest of France. In my spare time, I enjoy playing the piano, video games, and D&D. My background is in 2D animation. I have briefly worked in the animation industry, then shifted to retail for several years and I’m now an independent crochet designer and maker working from home.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crafting around 2016. With a couple of friends, we had the opportunity to open our own art shop/atelier in the city where we lived, with the goal of exhibiting and selling our work.

And how did you start designing?
Our shop opening in 2016 gave me the big push to start designing and selling my first amigurumi. I wanted to start blending my love for illustration, creating happy characters and crochet.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Crocheting and making amigurumi are my favorite crafts! It feels like making magic, turning ideas into physical creations. I like how flexible crochet is and that it allows a wide range of possibilities.

What was the longest project you worked on?
My longest project probably was my latest pattern called Ume the onigiri. It included more techniques than my previous patterns, and I wanted to make sure that they were all well explained so that I wouldn’t be the only one to understand my instructions :sweat_smile:

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
The shortest ones probably were food-themed keychains (mini donuts, dumplings) I made for craft fairs.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’m currently working on writing 2 new patterns: one is a round dinosaur and the other is still a secret :sparkles:

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of? Share a picture!
I’d say my first crochet pattern called the Amiplants. For the good energy they still bring to this day whether I make one for a friend, share them on my socials, or when customers adopt them on my shop. They keep making people smile, and that is awesome!

What is your usual process of designing?
I’ll sketch out my idea. Then, I’ll start crocheting, and trying to find the right shapes. I write down everything that I do to make sure I can remake it afterward. I don’t take step-by-step pictures until I’m happy with the final instructions/colors/design.

Once I’m happy with the final look, I’ll make it a second time thoroughly following the same instructions to make sure I haven’t made any calculation errors.

Then comes the creation of the layout for the pattern, translating the French version to English, and checking typos. Finally, I will send the pattern to my testers to get fresh eyes and feedback on it.

What inspires you to create/design?
The universe, a piece of music, colors, lights, and happy memories with friends and family. I want to create colorful, cheerful companions to share a piece of joy with people, something sweet that would make them laugh or smile.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Top 3 at the moment:

• Song: Birthplace by Novo Amor. I highly recommend watching the music video for this track on YouTube, it’s gorgeous.

• Book: The Unfair Advantage by Ash Ali and Hasan Kubba. A business book that helps you build awareness of your strengths and flaws, and sets an optimistic and realistic mindset for entrepreneurs.

• Movie: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty directed by Ben Stiller. I find it inspiring, soothing, funny! We aren’t used to seeing Ben Stiller perform in these calm, reflective roles, and he does it very well. This movie cheers me up whether I am in a low or high mood.

Share a funny story that happened to you recently!
The other day, I was playing with a good friend’s kid (he’s 3, and their family has a cat). He suddenly stopped playing and asked me very intentionally what’s the name of my cat? I responded that I didn’t have a cat. He seemed very confused by my answer and asked why I didn’t have a cat. And that’s a good question that will haunt me for a while. Why don’t I have a cat?

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I really enjoy the auto-conversion features (languages and measures systems). It makes it accessible and easier for everyone.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

Shoutout to these wonderful designers! Their creations are all so gorgeous and inspiring!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Apily] and all of their amazing patterns!

20 Likes

Yay! Congratulations! You’re patterns are adorable and so unique! :orange_heart:

8 Likes

Thank you so much @cheerfulcoyote ! Right back at you :blossom: (just saw in your shop your beautiful bat and raven :face_holding_back_tears:)

7 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week! You’re patterns are so adorable and went straight to my wishlists :laughing:

7 Likes

Awwuh, thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Congrats!! I have been following you for a while, your patterns are so creative and unique!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much Kaylee! :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you so much Haley, you’re so kind :blush:

4 Likes

Congratulations! I love Dudley and your Watermelon Cube!

1 Like

Wow congrats!! Your amiplants are adorable and I love all your patterns! You’ve got a new follower :DD

2 Likes

Thank you Debi! And thank you also for the love for Dudley and the watermelon buddy :grin:

Thank you for your kind words and support, I really appreciate it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: