Ribblr of the Week - Meet Bailey 🏅

Say hello to Bailey (@BaiRetro ) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [BaiRetro]

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crocheting when I was 8 years old. My Gramma would crochet baby blankets for everyone in the family, I had been given several and they always felt so special to me. I asked her to teach me how to crochet, but she only knew how to make double crochet stitches in the chevron pattern she used for the blankets. I wanted to learn anything I could, so we started with that! It was a tricky thing to start with as a beginner, but I was determined. After that, I taught myself everything else I know from youtube tutorials, crochet magazines, and vintage pattern books.

And how did you start designing?
Since I was self-taught, a lot of my growth came from trial and error and making things up as I went. I taught myself how to make (very wonky) hats around 10 years old, and I loved making things that were as bizarre and unique as possible. A lot of those early designers were packed with different stitches I was learning, and tons of colors that usually clashed. As I got more experienced I was able to be more controlled with the chaos! By 12 years old I was selling hats to family and their friends :slight_smile:

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Crochet is my passion, but I love any and all creative outlets!

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
I made a Halloween-themed blanket with a huge color worked jack-o-lantern on it… completely in single crochet! It was the most time consuming project I’ve ever designed and completed, but I loved it!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’m currently working on at least 4 different sweaters, a couple of hats, and a scarf. But that’s not including the WIPs that have been banished to the abyss of my yarn stash, possibly never to be seen again…

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I’m most proud of my first two watermelon sweaters!

What is your usual process of designing?
I usually see something that inspires the general idea of the project, like a texture, color palette, etc. Then I brainstorm and sketch how those aspects could come together into a full garment/accessory. Then the hard part- trying to think ahead of how to efficiently and effectively turn that idea into a real item. There’s a lot of math in that stage. Then I finally start to crochet it, and if anything needs to be tweaked along the way I make note of it :slight_smile:

What inspires you to create/design?
Everything inspires me! I have the never-ending urge to make things, and as a result I always have my eyes peeled for cute colors, textures, clothes, etc that can get my brain going.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
My favorite song at the moment is Fences by Destroy Boys!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love the smart sizing feature, it cuts out any confusion about what steps or stitch counts apply to your size!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
My favorite designers on Ribblr are:
@realmdesigns
@indigochilduk
@MadeintheMoment
and @rollingyarn

Thanks so much for being here this week Bailey, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [BaiRetro]

23 Likes

Congrats on ROTW @BaiRetro :partying_face::tada:

3 Likes

Congrats!!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

congrats!

Congratulations! :heart:

2 Likes