Ribblr of the week: meet Charlise + Win a pattern! 🏅

Hi Ribblrs and a very happy 4th of July :us: to all those celebrating!

We are delighted to introduce you to our new Ribblr of the week - Charlise of CharliseysCrochetCloset!

Charlise (@Charliseyscrochetcloset) is an emerging young crafter and an independent designer, who’s story is very inspirational. :purple_heart:
Scroll down to read our full interview with Charlise and find out how you can win her Chunky Cow pattern. :partying_face:

Hi Charlise! :wave: Please tell us a bit about you.
Hi! I’m Charlise! I’m a 17 year old girl from South Carolina! At the beginning of 2020 I became chronically ill. It has impacted my life tremendously. I am diagnosed with MALS, CCI, EDS and POTS. Haven’t heard of those? It’s okay most people haven’t. That’s why I use my social media platforms to raise awareness for rare diseases! I use my crocheting as a therapy, It helps distract me from my pain. I am also saving up the money I make from my plushies/patterns to get a service dog!

That is incredible and very inspirational. How did you begin your Crochet journey?
My crocheting journey began in October of 2020. Prior to May of 2020 I was a competitive figure skater . It was my passion. It consumed every moment of my free time. Then everything changed. I became chronically ill. I could no longer do the one thing I loved. I was devastated. The conditions I have make me very limited to what I can do. I had to find something to occupy my time, to distract my mind. That’s when I found crocheting. I decided I was going to learn to crochet and began to teach myself. I have only been crocheting a very short time but I have come to love it. It has become like a therapy for me.

That’s amazing! And when did you start designing your own patterns?
I started writing my own patterns almost as soon as I started crocheting. I’ve always had trouble “following the rules” when it comes to any type of art so anytime I would read a pattern i’d always change it to be more my style. I scraped using others patterns completely for awhile and would just crochet and write down a really rough version of the pattern as I went, I was probably the only person that would be able to understand them. I always thought it would be cool to share my patterns with others but it seemed so hard. Ribblr reached out and told me about their app, and here I am today! I enjoy writing patterns almost as much as I enjoy crocheting!

Were you always very crafty? :yarn:
I tried many different arts and crafts growing up trying to find something I really enjoyed. I went through many different art phases but just couldn’t stick with them. After the first time I tried to crochet, I just knew it was what I wanted to do. It just felt right. It wasn’t stressful, It genuinely made me happy and calm.

How long does it normally take you to finish a project and what was the longest project you worked on so far?
Most of my amigurumi projects I can finish within a day or two. The longest a project has ever taken me is probably the one i’m working on right now. I’m making a lap blanket to use while in my wheelchair. So far it’s been 4 days and i’m not even halfway through. I plan on sticking with amigurumi after this one.

And what was the shortest project you worked on?
The shortest project I’ve ever worked on is probably my mini birthday bees. They only take me around an hour including sewing and everything!

Where do you find your inspiration?
There are so many things that inspire me! Other creators, my family, my healthcare workers, my amazing supporters! One thing that that helps me come up with a lot of my idea is the color of yarn, I will see a color and instantly know exactly what I want to make.

What’s your designing process like?
Normally I will get an idea for a project at the most random times, I always write them down so I don’t forget. Once I pick out the colors I just sit down with my hook and start working. I write a rough draft as I go. If I end of liking the finished product I’ll rewrite the pattern to make it easier to understand. I will then remake the item a few times with the pattern, making small changes if needed to make sure it’s perfect. After that I take pictures of them and they’re ready to be published!

Which of your makes or designs are you most proud of?
One of my makes I’m most proud of is my birthday bees! It was the first pattern I ever released. I wrote it while I was in the hospital on my birthday. It isn’t a difficult make it’s just very close to my heart.

And now for some pop culture! Any favorite movie, song, book, podcast? :musical_note:
I love listening to Blue_spooky on YouTube while I crochet. He reads spooky stories and I always find them so interesting!

Do you have a funny story to share? Anything that happened to you recently?
Something funny that’s happened to me recently? Well it wasn’t too funny at the time but I was sitting outside crocheting the other day, I kept feeling an itch on my leg well once it started to annoying me I went to scratch it. I looked down and there was a spider crawling on me. I have a phobia of bugs so I screamed and went into the house crying while pulling all my clothes off. My mom found it hilarious and to be fair now I do too.

What’s your favorite Ribblr feature?
Everything about Ribblr has been helpful. I would say something that I really enjoy is how simple it makes pattern writing. I don’t think I could write patterns without it. I recommend it to people all the time!

Finally, pay it forward. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr:
One of my favorite pattern designers is @madebymaiii, I use her axolotl pattern all the time!

Thank you for sharing your story with us Charlise! :purple_heart:

Want to win Charlise’s Chunky Cow pattern? We’ve teamed up for a special giveaway!

And don’t forget to check out Charlise’s beautiful shop and support her work:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Vote in the poll and comment below to say hi to Charlise :blush:

What’s your favorite CharliseysCrochetCloset design?
  • Birthday Bee Amigurumi
  • EDS awareness zebra jellyfish
  • Mushroom octopus!
  • Chunky cow
  • Cupcake bee!
  • Chunky Zebra (EDS Awareness)
  • Cake pop bee

0 voters

17 Likes

Hi @Charliseyscrochetcloset ! It’s so nice to meet you, your story is amazing! :purple_heart: :hugs:

This is just so inspiring! Crafting (especially yarn crafts) have such therapeutic and healing abilities, and it’s incredible to hear stories from different crafters about how it helps them deal with different situations, and improves their mental health!

OMG! I completely relate! I have arachnophobia (fear of spiders), so I totally get it!! :scream:

7 Likes

Inspiring story and beautiful patterns :heart:

6 Likes

Such cute patterns! Your strength is inspiring. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

@Charliseyscrochetcloset beautiful designs!
I admire your courage to share and raise awareness and I know you are an inspiration to many, including myself! :blush:

7 Likes

Nice to meet you Charlise. I had a TIA many years ago and I believe that crochet helped me. I am excited to watch what else you create. I love working with Blanket Yarn and might have to try some of your patterns in the future.

7 Likes

I follow Charlie on Instagram and love her designs they are so cute :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Hi @Charliseyscrochetcloset !!! Your story is so amazing and so inspiring! :two_hearts: In regards to the pattern giveaway, I’d like to enter but can’t because I don’t have Instagram. My friend who’s also my business partner manages our business Instagram account (@nokittenaround_studio) and we follow you there. Would that possibly count as an entry? I don’t think I’d be able to tag a friend though : (
Other than those things, I can do everything else! :blush:
Thank you for your time :heart:

4 Likes

Hi! Yes that is completely fine. If you do all the other entries I will add your Ribblr username to the spin wheel!

4 Likes

Ok thank you! :blush:

3 Likes

@Charliseyscrochetcloset I opened the app today for the first time after downloading it in hopes of being able to help with your tester call, and because I never new it existed. This was funnily the first thing that showed up for me! You dod such a good job and your shop is amazing! It’s actually what made me start trying arquaminti (sorry if that’s not how to spell it) with blanket yarn! Wishing you the best! <3

5 Likes

I know this is wayyyyyy late, but the I loved the way you spelled amigurumi! It definitely can be hard to spell.

2 Likes

Your crocheting is amazing :star_struck:

2 Likes