Ribblr of the Week - Meet Elizabeth 🏅

Say hello to Elizabeth (@RedWingCrochet) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Red Wing Crochet]

Tell us a little about yourself
Hi! My name is Elizabeth, I am a stay at home mom to two children and a very needy (but cute) shih tzu! I absolutely LOVE being a mom, but outside of motherhood, what I enjoy the most is spending quality time with my husband. We are both avid beer enthusiasts (he is a brewer so you could say very avid), so I enjoy visiting breweries with him. My favorite times of the year are spring and fall because we take long walks for exercise at our local trail. All around, family is my life and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

When did you start crafting and how?
In 2020 I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, due mid February. Unfortunately, in November I found myself getting very sick with preeclampsia. My daughter was born 2 months early and that completely rocked my world, and mental health. Fast forward to October 2021, still struggling with ptsd and anxiety, I saw my own mother crocheting. I think deep down I was searching for a means to escape my own struggles and I asked her to teach me. The love for this craft was instantaneous.

I struggle like most do in the beginning (mainly keeping straight edges) but I’ve never been so eager to learn MORE. I took what my mom taught me and ran with it. Not only did my ADHD work in my favor with the ultimate hyper focus to learn, but it began easing my anxieties. I found my brain slowing down, focusing and creating a calmness within me. When I decided to start my crochet business and Instagram, I made sure to make mental health awareness a huge focus.

And how did you start designing?
As I said, my husband and I are very into the craft beer culture and world. I began making can coozies for us to use (I also drink seltzer like it’s my job, lacroix NOT white claw! I got so into it I began experimenting with different designs. I then had two friends who asked me to crochet a bunch of coozies for their wedding and I was given ultimate creative control. Then it just clicked in me. I knew my crochet journey would be in designing patterns. My first designs were coozies, and to this day my fruit coozies are my biggest seller!

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Oh man… I would say my brain consistently is thinking of garments the most when design ideas hit, but I have been finding myself loving amigurumi lately. I don’t see myself designing much amigurumi but I do love the stress free and fun aspects of making a cute plushie for a friend or family member.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
My Zoey Anna Sweater. It so far is the one and only crochet garment I have designed, made, had tested and put out in the world. I had a group of amazing testers, where some to this day still post online their sweaters! It was made originally for my daughter but I scaled it up for adults. It was a long and tedious project that I saw through to the end. For that, I am most proud.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I am making an elephant for a friends baby, as well as designing my first purse pattern! As for WIPS, I have 4 active WIPs and probably 25+ inactive WIPS haha.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
Share a picture! My Zoey Anna Sweater, and my most recent designs my coffee cozys (strawberry currently up on Ribblr!)!!

What is your usual process of designing?
It’s been pretty much, Make first, then write, then make again. I am currently working on writing as I go for this next project though!

What inspires you?
I have always been into art/been an artistic person. I like crochet because i can finally create pieces I feel fit my body the best. I am not the most secure person post having children so I like the idea that I can design and cater my clothing and even accessories to fit my body and style.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
There’s not much time for reading these days but my husband and I do dedicate an hour each night to watch a show together. We just finished watching a few shows: Brothers Sun (Netflix), True detective (Max), The Americans (Hulu)… I also recently watched myself, Why Women Kill (Paramount) and Dead to Me (Netflix). We also do movie nights on Friday with our toddler and we loved the movie Leo (Netflix)!

Share a funny story that happened to you recently!
The only thing I can think of was when my daughter had a boo boo on her finger so I asked her to show me and she flipped me off (the boo boo was on her middle finger) I have a fantastic photo I took of her and it cracks me up every time I look at it.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
BUNDLES!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

Thanks so much for being here this week Elizabeth, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Red Wing Crochet]

18 Likes

Ooh nice!! Congrats @RedWingCrochet!!! Your stuff looks so cute!

3 Likes

congrats ROTW!! I

3 Likes

Congrats on ROTW! :partying_face::tada:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! :heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations @RedWingCrochet ! Your story is sure to help a lot of people and I admire
your hard work and dedication. <3

1 Like