Ribblr of the week: Meet Ellie! (aka Foxy Crochet)

Say hello to Ellie (@Foxycrochet) the designer behind Foxy crochet, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hi Ellie! :wave: Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi everyone. I’m Ellie from @Foxy.crochet. I live in the Midlands UK with my husband, our two adorable kids, and a little Maltese dog. Like other crafty parents, my crafting journey started with me making clothes for my children. I gradually then moved on to crocheting cute little toys.

When did you start crafting and how?
I picked up amigurumi in late 2019 when my daughter wanted a Toy Story toy. We were trying to cut down on plastic toys so I decided to crochet her a Buzz amigurumi. I bought a crochet kit from Aldi supermarket and thought this would be a great idea! Well, I was wrong… It was such a time-consuming project and I was naive to think that my first make would look exactly like the model in the kit photo. However, to my surprise my daughter really loved my wonky looking Buzz. This inspired me to make more amigurumi for her to play with.

That’s so lovely! And how did you start designing?
My daughter loves role play. She was struggling to keep her crocheted dolls and animals standing up for her imaginary plays, so she asked me whether I could make some that could stand on their own. This has led to my peg doll inspired designs. If you check out my Instagram, you will notice that all my designs are quite simple and quick to make, yet I hope you find them cute, educational and suitable for role play. Some of the designs I have created are also with a view for home décor.

Do you have a favorite craft type? We’re guessing it’s Crochet :wink:
Currently it has to be crochet. I’m 100% hooked :blush:

What was the longest project you worked on?
It is an ice cream van designed by Kwannie @Studiomanya I started it last summer and still haven’t finished it yet. This is such a clever design which really makes me step out of my comfort zone.

How about the shortest project?
I love quick projects that doesn’t take more than a day or two to make. Shortest project was face scrubbies which I made as gifts for my daughter’s teachers. My recent My Little Chubby animals are also super quick to make (just one evening!).

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I’m currently working on a Little Chubby Animal collection and I’m planning to launch some of the farm animals on Ribblr in February to raise fund for a charity that is very close to my heart: Compassion https://www.compassionuk.org/

What is your usual process of designing?
When I design an animal I research on its features, fun facts, real life photos and also drawings. Then I choose a colour palette, drawing out the animal on my phone/tablet to use this as a guide to crochet. The key part of my design is the facial expression which I usually spend the most time on.

What inspires you to create and design?
All my designs are based on my friends and family’s interests. For instance, when my friends told me that they were getting married, my first reaction was to design a wedding couple for them. Check out my penguin and koala wedding couples which were wedding gifts to my friends who got married in 2021. I want designing to be a relaxing and enjoyable journey, so by doing this I don’t feel l have ever lacked ideas.

Time for some pop culture! Any favorite movie, song and book you would like to recommend?
My favourite book is a crochet book by Lydia Tresselt called “Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies”. There are some very helpful crocheting techniques shared in this book.

We’d love to know: what is your favorite feature or design on Ribblr?
The language functionality. Being able to switch between UK and US terminologies is amazing. I’m looking forward to seeing more languages being added to Ribblr.

Finally, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
My shoutout is to Ioanna @IwannaBeHara I have had a pleasure to work with her on a Halloween CAL and I really like the pattern that she designed for this CAL.

Thank you for sharing Ellie! :purple_heart:

Check out the Foxy crochet shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

19 Likes

Congrats :tada:

6 Likes

Congrats @Foxycrochet , I’m glad that you are the Ribblr of the week. Now I’m aware of your profile & shop. Your amigurumi is ultra cute. Love to hear your process & research behind your designs. Take care, Anna :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Oh i love your bunny!

2 Likes