Ribblr of the Week - Meet Fina 🏅

Say hello to Fina (@PoppiesandAmi)- our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind PoppiesandAmi

Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Fina, 31 years old and originally from the Philippines. I am currently living in Texas along with my amazing husband and 9-month old son. I’m also working on my Master’s in Occupational Therapy degree. Aside from crocheting, I also love to cook and
bake.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started to craft (crochet) in December 2017 when I saw a Facebook advertisement of a beautiful flower blanket (individual flower puffs that are sewn as one piece). Since then, I was very eager to learn and to create cute crochet stuff.

And how did you start designing?
When I was still taking orders a few years back, I couldn’t keep up with the orders and I
was burnt out so I decided to design amigurumis instead. I started designing common
stuff like gnomes (did not sell:) ) and bears which I am going to recreate when I get the
chance.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Crocheting, I’ve been doing this craft for 7 years now. I just took a break for several
months before but I never stopped ever since. This type of craft is therapeutic and it
gives me endless joy especially when I see my finished project/s.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
The Mr. and Mrs. Christmas moose and the critter bauble patterns. The reason why is these
are the last few patterns I made weeks before my little one was born. It also reminds me of the white Christmas back in NY where we used to live.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I am working on my Alpine Pumpkin Tower pattern at the moment. Apart from that, I
have 3 other WIPs but two of those are not amigurumis, I am making clothing for me and
my husband for the upcoming holidays. .

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I am most proud of my Mr. and Mrs. Froggies pattern and the biggest doll I made using a
sports yarn-Mom from the ‘Lula and her Amigurumi Friends’ book. The Froggies
because until now, it is still the most favorite by my buyers. The Mom doll because it was
my WIP for over a year then I got to finish it because I was bothered when I saw it aside,
unfinished.

cover-aoayktbzu

What is your usual process of designing?
Two ways depending on the level of the design. If it is easy, I’ll make it one time then, I’ll
write down notes as I go. I unravel it if it is needed until I get the right shape. If it is
complicated, I’ll make the whole thing first or freehand it then I’ll recreate it again the
second time with notes.

What inspires you to create/design?
My family, holidays like Autumn, Halloween and Christmas. When it comes to these seasons, I don’t run out of ideas to crochet. Me and my family love those holidays mentioned and I am
even more inspired to crochet holiday makes.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I don’t have any song/book or movie to recommend but it is a TV series instead-The
Fallout. I was sitting next to my husband while crocheting when I watched it. He
explained to me the story behind it. It’s about the apocalypse world. Not my genre but
there is something mystical about this movie.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love all the features of Ribblr. My most favorites are the translation from UK to US
terms (vice versa), the automated list of abbreviations and adding photos/videos in each
line which makes the platform more time-efficient.

Tell us something funny that’s happened to you!
Just last week when I was working on my new design-alpine pumpkin tower (soon to be
released), I ran out of yarn a few rows before finishing my small pumpkin so I
immediately ran to the craft store to get more yarn. The next day when I was working on
my medium pumpkin, just one more row to finish, I ran out of yarn again. It’s frustrating
at that moment but now I find it funny (laughs).

Who are some designers you would like to give a shoutout to?
There are so many talented designers to choose from but these are the top 3 I look up
to. @spinayarncrochet, @LemonYarn and @Rnata. They’re amigurumis are amazing.
I am inspired by them to design more cute critters.

Thanks so much for being here this week Fina, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out PoppiesandAmi

29 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!

4 Likes

Congratulation’s @PoppiesandAmi ! Your designs are so cute!

3 Likes

These are adorable! Congrats on RoTW!!

2 Likes

congrats on rotw! you’re very talented!!

2 Likes

Congratulations @PoppiesandAmi :blush:
You have amazing holiday patterns :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Thank u :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes