Ribblr of the Week - Meet Isl 🏅

Say hello to Isl (@haniscrochet ) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Haniscrochet]

Tell us a little about yourself
Hi! I am Isl. I am a Korean born and living in Mexico city! I went to culinary school but now I am a full time crochet designer. I still haven’t given up on my career, I want to make a crochet cafe in Mexico
city, where you can come and chill while making things or just watch other people make crochet and knitting stuff.

After finally having enough courage to go to markets (I am shy and get drained in large
crowds) I stopped just selling 100% online, and sometimes you may see
me at some conventions!

I am very lazy in making social media stuff… don’t hate me, I don’t enjoy editing haha but I am always here for you ;D

When did you start crafting and how?
I started when I saw my cousin making a little crochet teddy bear for my brother’s wedding, I knew at the moment I wanted to learn how to do that and all the potential plushies I could make.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing because I couldn’t find patterns to make Pokémon and other characters I really liked to get, but they were too expensive.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Hands down for Amigurumi, I need projects that I can finish in less than 1 week, because I get bored too easy.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
My giant Guardian from Zelda Breath of the Wild, sadly I free handed it, on the positive side, he is happily adopted and looking at the Swiss Alps.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
Maybe 6?, but if we count the box of half made plushies I left years ago… maybe 50? Don’t be angry!

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
Guardian of course!

What is your usual process of designing?
I stare for a good 10-15 min what I am making in all the possible angles so I have the image in my head, separate it into simpler shapes/layers then just trial and error until I get the pieces right, if I need a simple one, I just modify the original for the new shape and details, but in process is very similar.

What inspires you to create/design?
I think being bored, when I am not crocheting I overthink the whole time and it gets depressive, it helps me to live in the moment, designing is just what I have to do because I couldn’t find the patterns.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I recently watched the movie “Past lives” is really good!

Share a funny story that happened to you recently!
I was walking with a bag full of chocolates to make Valentine’s day chocolates and a guy tried to sell chocolates in English thinking I didn’t speak Spanish, 1 for $80 and 2 for $100.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love that I can schedule when I can release a pattern!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
Some of my favorites on Ribblr are:
@ohanacraft
@knotmonster
@wondercrochet

Thanks so much for being here this week Isl, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out[Haniscrochet]

25 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week @haniscrochet! I felt that about the WIP lol :rofl: I finally decided to just frog one of them to make something else and finally have more space to put more WIP :joy:

7 Likes

Congrats! Loving the zelda themed plush there!

4 Likes

Congratulations on Ribblr of the Week! Your amigurumi are so cute and have so many nice little details.

5 Likes

How I’m now picturing you cleaning out your WIP storage :laughing:
Prepping Work From Home GIF by 60 Second Docs

5 Likes

congrats!!

5 Likes

Nice to get to know you more Isl! :hugs::heart:

4 Likes