Ribblr of the Week - Meet Jayda 🏅

Say hello to Jayda (@jaydedcrochet) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind Jaydedcrochet!

Hey! Happy to have you here, tell us a little about yourself.
Hi there!! My name is Jayda and I am a crochet artist and pattern designer! I am 22 years old and located in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, but I was born and raised in New York! I live with my amazing boyfriend Blake and our three cats Jordan, Timmy and Teddy! I am always creating something, whether it be a plushie, a pattern, a drawing, makeup look etc. I just love to make art!

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crafting ever since I was old enough to hold a pencil! One of my earliest childhood memories is drawing on my walls in crayon as a toddler, and I don’t think I’ve ever stopped since then. In regards to crochet, I actually started crocheting as a pre-teen, after being introduced to fiber arts by my amazing grandmother who taught me how to knit. Once I learned how to knit I taught myself how to crochet!

And how did you start designing?
As my love for crochet blossomed and I discovered all of the amazing things you can create using yarn and more specifically plush yarn, I wanted to try creating my own designs! I mainly make patterns for plushies because they’re my favorite thing to crochet.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I do, and it would have to be crocheting! Crocheting is so relaxing and satisfying to me. I love to put a TV show or podcast on and just crochet my heart away. It’s my absolute most favorite thing to do. I think I love to crochet so much because I can free hand things and make them in my own way, but I also love structured art.

When painting and drawing, sometimes the fear of a blank page is daunting. Whereas with crochet, there are guidelines you have to follow. I really appreciate the structure, and I think it allows me to be even more creative.

What was the longest project you worked on?
When I was a beginner I made a jumbo cherry bunny, and it probably took me about 8+ hours. I still have her!

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
Probably my little duckie plushie. It’s very quick and easy to make! (free pattern is in my shop)

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’m currently crocheting a baby bear by @kayascrochet! I have a TON of unfinished projects that I should probably finish haha. There’s too many to count.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of? Share a picture!
I’m most proud of my most recent upcoming pattern. It is a bear and bunny (2 in 1 pattern) wearing a butterfly costume!

What is your usual process of designing?
I will usually draw a picture first or have a visual in my head of what I want to make. Then I freehand it and write down what I did for every round, and then go back and remake it until it comes out the way I want it to look!

What inspires you to create/design?
Other crochet artists on Instagram, cute plushies that are not crocheted, photos of plushies from Pinterest, etc.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
My favorite movie ever is the Labyrinth!

Share a funny story that happened to you recently!
My cat Teddy, aka our little troublemaker, loves to steal my tiny amigurumi makes. Not only does he like to steal them and walk around with them in his mouth, but he will hide them under the oven, and/ or drown them in his water bowl. I’ll often go into the kitchen and find soaking wet axolotls and random amigurumi limbs in his bowl or right next to it drenched in water!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love that you can cross off each round as you crochet. I frequently use that feature and I think it’s so helpful. That way if I take a break I know exactly which round I left off when I come back to it.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

• @kcities - she is such a lovely and funny person, and has such adorable and unique patterns! I really admire her as a pattern tester/pattern creator because she always has the most detailed and helpful tips and photos.

• @lorettasloops - she is so sweet and kind and her patterns are such a staple to have if you are a crochet artist. I’m very inspired by her work!

• @lemoncatcrochet - she is truly such a sweetheart. Her patterns and her creations are so unique and she has a very distinct, beautiful style.

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Jaydedcrochet] and all of their amazing patterns!

22 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week!

5 Likes

Whoo hoo! Congrats! :> Your patterns are adorable!

5 Likes

Ahh I’ve been following you for a while I love your patterns so much! Congrats on ROTW!!! :sparkling_heart::tada::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

thank you all so much!

3 Likes

congratulations! your patterns are so cute!!

3 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes