Ribblr of the Week: Meet Jen 🏅

Say hey to Jen (@jenniferhu) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind poachingegg!

profilepic

Hey! :wave: Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi everyone, I’m Jen (she/her)! I’m a college student majoring in organismal biology (an excuse to spend time with frogs). In my free time, I enjoy crocheting, listening to audiobooks at 3x speed, and going out to look for herptiles.

3x! That’s impressive :scream:
When did you start crafting and how?

I learned how to crochet as an elective at my Mandarin school on the weekends, so I started crocheting in second grade. I always crocheted on and off from then on and then finally got back into it in 2021 or so.

And how did you start designing?
I met so many cool people in the Instagram crochet community and was inspired to make some of my own patterns as well! It’s always so much fun seeing how creative everyone else is; it really inspires me.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I love crocheting because it’s so ingrained in my muscle memory that I can multitask while doing it, but I would be super interested in learning how to punch needle and make cute rugs or coasters while still being in the fibercraft sphere.

What was the longest project you worked on?
The longest projects I’ve worked on are wearables because I usually don’t have the patience to finish them. I’ve been about an eighth of a way through @stringofkisses’ Rafaela top for over a year now, and I really need to finish it because I love how it looks.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging! :frog:)
I really enjoy making @the.llama.crochet ‘s mini teddy bears for keychains! It takes probably less than half an hour to make them, and I’ve made so many that the pattern is basically memorized.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :wink:
I’m currently making a collection of Sanrio cupcakes and Snoopy plushes. I definitely have over sixteen WIPs right now </3

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I’m the most proud of my Pompompurin Bee that I made by modifying @moooorumi’s bee pattern! In terms of my own designs, I have a Howl’s Moving Castle-inspired cow plushie pattern that’s coming out soon on Ribblr that I love.

What is your usual process of designing?
Whenever inspiration strikes (or rather, when I have time to creatively crochet), I sit down with a notepad and write down the most nonsensical string of letters and numbers as I crochet. Somehow, my scribbles turn into patterns, and then I have fellow crocheters try out the pattern for me!

That’s awesome! What inspires you to create & design?
I am genuinely just a lover of cute things, so if I see any plushie or design that I want, some little part of my brain always says “I can make that.” I don’t know if it’s just blatant and misguided confidence, but I’d like to think that this mentality has come up with some pretty fun designs.

Pop culture time! :notes:
Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?

Favorite song is probably “Every Summertime” by NIKI, and favorite book would be too difficult because I have too many to choose from, but anything by Chloe Gong is a hit!

It’s Monday! Care to share a funny story that happened to you recently?
When I was in Costa Rica, there was a frog right outside my dorm because we were essentially living in the middle of the jungle. My friends are I spent about half an hour fawning over it and trying to identify it, and as we were doing so, the frog jumped onto my head! We later determined that it was a Legler’s Treefrog, meaning that I had an endangered frog sitting on my head <3

That’s both hilarious and amazing. What an experience :star_struck:
W’d love to know - what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I really enjoy being able to cross off lines of a pattern as I’m working. It’s so much more convenient than my usual method of typing a bunch of numbers into the Notes app and deleting them to mark off rounds.

Finally, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’m such a big fan of @windrisescrochet and @strawberriepuffs ! They are both super creative and super kind, so I’m really grateful to have been able to work with each of them <3

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out the poachingegg shop now!:point_down:

25 Likes

Hallmark Ecards Art GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

2 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week! Very cool about the Legler Treefrog :smile::partying_face::tada::frog:

3 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS on ROTW

3 Likes

Congrats!!

2 Likes