Ribblr of the Week: Meet Jules 🏅

Say hello to Jules (@Wonderlandknots) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind Wonderland Knots!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Hi everyone! I’m Jules, I’m 24 and I live on a tiny island in NYC. Here I’m a barista by day and crafter by night. I absolutely adore animals and have two wonderful kitties of my own. I’ve been a Fiber Artist since 2015. I started with arm knitting, picked up crochet and now most recently knitting! I’ve recently been getting a ton of knitspiration from my adventures into Manhattan which are mostly spent exploring, people watching and crafting.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crafting as a child and have been ever since! I was always that kid with my coloring book at the dinner table whether it was at home or at a restaurant. My mom always fueled my crafting interests and would take me to the store to buy all of the supplies for that months craft of choice. She’s still the first person to volunteer to take me to the craft store!

And how did you start designing?
I started designing because I had trouble finding patterns that had the elements I wanted in them. I figured well if I can’t find what I’m looking for, I should make it myself! And that’s how most of my designs come into existence. I also love learning and practicing stitches so some of my designs come from playing around with different textures.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Currently my favorite craft is Knitting! I’m a crochet artist of many years but I’m unfortunately coming to terms with the fact that knitting is less painful for my arms and hands. I absolutely still love crochet but projects now take me 4x longer than they used to. I started knitting in January and have become firmly obsessed!

What was the longest project you worked on?
The longest project I’ve worked on is my first knit sweater. It was my 4th knit project ever and I freehanded the entire thing with no pattern reference. I watched a YouTube video and said, “I can do this!”, it took about a month of working on it every day but I did do it!

That’s impressive! And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
My shortest project would definitely be coffee cozies. I’ve made tons of these as a barista, both for myself and to gift/sell!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :wink:
I’m currently working on a knit hood design! I will admit I do have 5 other WIP’s right now.

Which of your designs are you most proud of? Share a picture!
Some of the designs I’m most proud of are my Snowdrop Top & Flora Bucket Bag!

What is your usual process of designing?
My designing process is definitely a little unconventional. Whenever an idea pops into my head, I HAVE to create a sample immediately! I try my best to write down the steps but often fly through it forgetting to even write any of them down. I end up with a sample, a few numbers and usually have to work backwards from there. So then I create another sample and finally write down all of the steps in as much detail as possible.

What inspires you to create/design?
I get most of my inspiration from nature and fashion design. Recently I’ve been getting a ton of inspiration from my adventures into Manhattan which are mostly spent exploring, people watching and working on projects.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :notes:
My current favorite song is The Outside by Twenty One Pilots!

Care to share a funny story that happened to you recently?
I have a new coworker at work and after getting to know each other and our musical tastes, we discovered we had actually been to a few of the exact same concerts throughout the years! It was too funny to realize we had almost met on so many different occasions but had finally met at work.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature on Ribblr is the discover section! I love getting to see patterns that are recommended for me based on my other pattern views.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
One of my favorite fellow Ribblr’s is @MadeintheMoment! I absolutely love her designs and it’s awesome to find another designer who creates both knit & crochet patterns.

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out Wonderland Knots!:point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

22 Likes

Congratulations!!

5 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week! :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

5 Likes

:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Congrats!

5 Likes

Congrats! :clap:

3 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!! :partying_face: I crochet and knit as well :relaxed: