Ribblr of the week: meet Julie! šŸ…

Hi Ribblrs! This week we are excited to feature Julie @thecovecony as our Ribblr of the week!

Hi Julie! Please tell us a little about you.
Hi my name is Julie! I recently started designing and selling knit and crochet patterns when Iā€™m not working full time at a middle school. You can find me on instagram @thecoveco.ny for a peek into my designing and making process and sometimes my stream of consciousness :joy:. I love how designing has enabled me to create things specifically for myself and my body type and what I like to wear that you canā€™t find anywhere else! I also do a little bit of embroidery and punch needle/rug tufting so I can branch out my creative endeavors.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crocheting in the fourth grade, so around 8 years old. My grandma made me this beautiful navy and light blue poncho and I was like ā€œI gotta know how to do that.ā€ When I was a freshman in college I was having a rough time mentally and I decided to teach myself how to knit. It ended up being a great way to handle what I was going through in a healthy way and I never looked back.

Thatā€™s incredible. And how did you start designing?
I started drawing ideas for clothes when I was really young but I never thought of it as designing until I started making what I drew (which wasnā€™t until maybe three years ago). I think the first thing that I actually intentionally designed and made was a knit throw blanket (that is still my favorite blanket to use).

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Iā€™m always flip flopping on whether itā€™s knit or crochet because they both have pros and cons BUT Iā€™m going to give knitting the slightest edge. Iā€™ll probably have a different answer next time Iā€™m asked lol

Whatā€™s the most recent project youā€™ve worked on?
The most recent completed project would be my La Mer sweater which is available here on Ribblr! I recently started knitting a cardigan which Iā€™ve been working on between my full time job and plans I have in the evenings.

Weā€™re interested to know - what was the longest project you worked on?
Longest would definitely be my Nautilus blanket that I made a few years ago. It took me about two+ years to finish it because I kept procrastinating but now that itā€™s done I absolutely love it.

What was the shortest project (excluding frogging!)
The shortest would probably be a beanie that I made using a knitting machine I had recently purchased to test it out. The double layered hat only took around half an hour which was GREAT.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
Definitely my La Mer sweater. I taught myself how to brioche knit for it and while I struggled in the beginning I loved the whole process and I definitely get the most wears/use out of this sweater. Itā€™s so lightweight and airy but cozy at the same time.

What inspires you to create?
So many things but mostly music and tv/movies. I watch a lot of period dramas and design things based on what I think someone would wear in current/modern times or something that reflects the characterā€™s personality or vibe. I also just like to design things that reflect what a song makes me feel or what I can see myself wearing at an artistā€™s concert lol. Sometimes I design things that Iā€™d think the musician would wear too.

Thatā€™s awesome! And what is your usual process of designing?
I start with a basic sketch on paper to get the gist of the idea down and then I draw it up in full with colors and everything in Procreate. Once the full color sketch is done I start looking at yarn to figure out how I want the feel and color and physical weight of the design to be. Then itā€™s trial and error until I get the garment where I want it.

Now, time for some pop culture.
Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :musical_note::books::popcorn:

Iā€™ve been listening to MĆ„neskin for the past month or so and I would recommend literally every song theyā€™ve made - theyā€™re incredible. I recently read Circe and The Witches of New York and both were fantastic. My current favorite movie is the 2019 Netflix film The King. And as a bonus, Turn: Washingtonā€™s Spies is the best tv series Iā€™ve ever watched.

Share a funny story that happened to your recently :sweat_smile:
Not sure if this counts as funny because not many funny things happen to me but I was at my best friendā€™s bridal shower recently and the two girls who are going to be flower girls took a liking to me and were pretty much attached to my hip for the whole party. They were adorable and so sweet so I didnā€™t mind being a bit of a babysitter at all.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I LOVE how you can select your size while working from a pattern. I think that was so smart because it saves you from having to go through all of the stitch and row counts for every size until you get to the size you need.

Finally, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Iā€™ve always admired Knit Safari (@knitsafari). She manages to take simple designs and elevate them with fun colors or stitches.

Thank you so much for sharing Julie! :purple_heart:

Make sure you check out Julieā€™s unique designs on her shop:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badgešŸ…)

Comment below with your questions and compliments for Julie! :blush:

10 Likes

Awesome stuff! Love the knit designs - really beautiful.

3 Likes

Hi Julie!
You have a great story, and I just want to say I love your La Mer sweater and wish I could knit like that! (I mostly crochet but I can knit very basic things like washcloths and scrubbies)

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!! If you can knit two together and slip a stitch youā€™re ready to make the La Mer sweater! There are no increases or decreases to worry about to keep it as beginner friendly as possible. I taught myself how to knit brioche while making this pattern so if I can do it anyone can. I have total faith in you and if you have any questions about it Iā€™d be more than happy to answer them! :relaxed:

2 Likes