Ribblr of the Week - Meet Kalley 🏅

Say hello to Kalley (@kneedlesandlife ) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Kneedles & Life]

Hi! Happy to have you here, tell us a little about yourself.
I’m Kalley, and I live in Virginia with my husband and our daughter and goldendoodle. I started knitting/crocheting when I was a kid, and started designing in 2018. This business allows me to stay home full time and homeschool my daughter.

When did you start crafting and how?
I grew up with a very crafty mom and have always enjoyed music and art. She and my grandma taught me the basics of crocheting and knitting and we still enjoy stitching together.

And how did you start designing?
I started out selling hats on Etsy around 2015. As I started following more makers on Instagram, I quickly became aware of patterns and realized I could create them myself. I designed my first pattern in 2018 and no one bought it! I am so glad I stuck with it.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I love knitting the most. It is so meditative and doesn’t hurt my wrists like crochet. I also love how knitwear drapes and stretches and fits the body so perfectly.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
The first sweater I designed myself - The Cotton Candy Sweater! I was really proud of myself for pushing myself out of my comfort zone to learn and research new things, and I also love how cute it is.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I have about 10-15 WIPS going at all times! There’s no shame in starting something new if it will make you happy. :slight_smile: I’m currently working on a few Christmas gifts, a few blankets, and a couple sweaters for my daughter. I’m hoping to cast on a new sweater for myself soon, too.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I’m really proud of the Adult Playdate Tee! It looks great on everyone and is one of my best selling patterns.

What is your usual process of designing?
Once I have an idea, I do all the math for every size in Google Sheets. Then I knit a sample in my size and make sure all the math works and it fits, looks good, etc. Next, I write the pattern and save it as a PDF. I send all my math and the pattern to my tech editor to make sure the pattern is perfect before doing a tester call and having the pattern tested in every size by other knitters.

What inspires you to create/design?
My process usually starts with a need. I used to design a lot of beanies that used a single skein of super bulky, singly ply hand dyed yarn. I saw dyers selling this gorgeous yarn but didn’t know what to make with it. When I started designing kids patterns, it’s because I wanted to make things for my daughter but not a lot of people were designing kids patterns yet. The other thing I want for my designs is simplicity. You should be able to wear this item forever, not just while it’s trendy. I spend a lot of time looking at Pinterest and also what’s currently for sale in stores for ideas, too.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I love reading and listening to music! I’ve been listening to a lot of Noah Kahan lately, and enjoy reading Historical Fiction, Romance, and Thrillers. My favorite authors are Nicholas Sparks, Riley Sager, and Kristin Hannah.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love the pattern builder and the format it gives the pattern to customers! I also love that there is a functional app, and you can reduce your fees!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

Here are some designers and patterns I love I love seeing on Ribblr!
@tinyfriendscrochet - Toaster Pastry
@Mariasbluecrayon - Snowman Plushie
@cosmaudi - The Carolina Cardigan Lite
@noelebelle - California Colorblock Blanket

Thanks so much for being here this week Kalley, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Kneedles & Life]

3 Likes

I’d love to be a Ribblr of the Week but I dont think I’m qualified enough for that :skull:

1 Like

Congratulations on Ribblr of the week @kneedlesandlife your patterns are so pretty!! :smiling_face::sparkles:🫶🏽

1 Like