Ribblr of the Week - Meet Kaytlyn 🏅

Say hello to Kaytlyn (@KaytlynJohnsen)- our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [CrochetOccult]

Tell us a little about yourself
Hey y’all, my name is Kaytlyn! I am 24 years old and live with my partner & two dogs; Eevee and Lena, just outside of Detroit, Michigan. Although born in Kansas, I moved to Michigan when I was about 8 and have loved living here ever since!

When did you start crafting and how?
In March of 2023, I had seen some cute crocheted plushies on Instagram & instantly fell in love–ever since I have been addicted to the Fiber Arts. I instantly made a trip to my local Michaels and bought everything I needed to get started. I had bought plush yarn not knowing that it wasn’t really meant for beginners, but I practiced my magic ring for two days straight until I got it down, and the rest is history.

And how did you start designing?
Six months into my crochet journey, I was already in love with all of the creations and patterns I was seeing. I started to have so many ideas of my own, that I couldn’t help but to write them down, and bring these ideas of mine to life!

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favorite craft type has to obviously be crocheted amigurumi. I have tried a few other crafts in the fiber arts, but crochet is something that always seems to come naturally to me. It brings me such comfort and joy, so I always end up just going back to it!

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
The most memorable project that I have ever worked on, which ended up taking me two months to make from concept to final product, would have to be Delilah the Dragon! Which is by far the longest amount of time I’ve ever taken to design a pattern, let alone work on finishing a plushie! I am so proud to have created her. She is by far my favorite pattern AND finished make.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
Currently, I am working on a handful of new patterns that I plan on running tester calls for in the near future. I am even working on a new pattern as we speak! In terms of the WIPS, I have far too many that just sit in a basket in the corner.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
7. The pattern I am most proud of is definitely my Clyde the Horse & Luna the Unicorn pattern! It is fairly popular on Ribblr and has even gotten me a bestseller label on Etsy for the last couple months. I am so proud every time I see a post on social media of someone using my Clyde pattern and how great their creations turn out!

What is your usual process of designing?
My usual process of designing is coming up with the idea & sketching out a concept drawing of what I’m picturing. Afterwards, I break it down and start crocheting the pieces until everything matches the drawing. Once all the pieces are crafted, I finish assembling the plushie, and do it all over again multiple times to make even more. Tweaking out any issues that might come up before moving on to the tester call!

What inspires you to create/design?
I am a very vivid dreamer and a lot of my patterns are thought of while I’m dreaming. So, I wake up and instantly write down any ideas I had overnight & during naps! Once I’m more awake, I elaborate on them further, and start to sketch out my designs.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I will literally recommend any song by SZA, she is constantly playing in my house! I love her music so much because it creates such a good atmosphere for creating.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature would have to be anything relating to the testing process. As a designer, testing is obviously very important. The features that Ribblr offers; hosting tester calls, picking testers, keeping in communication through a group message, and gifting the pattern afterwards–compare to no other platform I’ve ever used. I started using Ribblr as soon as I learned to crochet & plan on using it until I stop. Which will be NEVER!!

Tell us something funny that’s happened to you!
On a regular basis, I am always wearing my third eye sunglasses. Whenever I leave and have them on, I am constantly getting stopped to comment on what the third lens is even for. I always joke that it’s to protect my third eye & intuition. But, the best comment I’ve ever gotten was from an older gentleman, who looked at them and said: “third eye blind right?” As if my sunglasses had ANYTHING to do with the band.

Who are some designers you would like to give a shoutout to?
Some designers I want to shoutout are @yokattapatterns, @HuggleNHooks, @Cheebiscuties, and @cheerfulcoyote!

Thanks so much for being here this week Kaytlyn, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [CrochetOccult]

31 Likes

Congrats on ROTW! The dragon is so huggable! :laughing:

Bat Wings Love GIF by Pusheen

8 Likes

@KaytlynJohnsen I love your patterns and I can’t wait for those tester calls!:yellow_heart:

7 Likes

Your patterns are so adorable! I am so excited to apply for more of your tester calls! :heart:@KaytlynJohnsen

7 Likes

OMG !! been waiting for this for soo long now!!
can’t wait for the other tester calls!!
congrats on ROTW @KaytlynJohnsen !!~ :purple_heart::sparkles:
you deserve this %100 !!

8 Likes

Yaaaay! Congratulations @KaytlynJohnsen ! You are so talented and I love seeing all the things you come up with! :purple_heart: :black_heart: :orange_heart:

9 Likes

Congrats on making ROTW!! :tada: It’s well earned! Your patterns are absolutely adorable, and I can’t wait to see your future designs as well!

6 Likes

Congratulations!!! So deserved!!

4 Likes

Congratulations!! I love your patterns!! :two_hearts:

5 Likes

thank you so much! Ribblr has been life changing for me and im so honored to be ROTW!!! :blue_heart::blue_heart:

9 Likes

Congrats on getting ROTW @KaytlynJohnsen !! :tada: I love your patterns and hope to make Delilah some time! :blush: Im excited for those tester calls too

4 Likes

Congratulations @KaytlynJohnsen !

4 Likes