Ribblr of the Week - Meet Larissa šŸ…

Say hello to Larissa - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Stitched by Scott]

Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Larissa, Iā€™m 22 years old, and I live in Canberra, Australia. Iā€™m a full time university student pursuing a double bachelorā€™s in economics and arts, I work part time at a consulting firm in the economics team, and I run my crochet business StitchedbyScott in any spare moment. I am also launching another business for crochet supplies and yarn called Scarli in May!

When did you start crafting and how?
I have always been an obsessive crafter since I was young. However, Iā€™ve jumped between many different crafts throughout the years and only landed on crocheting mid last year! I had always wanted to learn amigurumi but was too scared to commit since I always obsess over crafts and then lose interest after a few weeks. However, I went to a market where I bought my first crochet plushie and fell in love. The next day I took myself to the craft store and started obsessively learning through YouTube and I havenā€™t looked back.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing about one week into learning crochet. Iā€™ve only started taking it more seriously this year, getting more ideas and practicing different techniques and looks for my plushies. I started because I found it to be a great way to exercise my creativity and also engage with the community. The design process is quite challenging since itā€™s hard to come up with original and cute ideas but that is part of what drew me to start trying!

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Amigurumi crochet is by far my favourite craft type - I feel like it was made for me. It is easy to learn with so many free resources, itā€™s cheap to begin since you only need a hook and yarn, thereā€™s endless inspiration and ideas of things to make, you can choose to follow patterns or make up your own, you can watch TV while you do it, itā€™s not as messy as other crafts, and you can put down a project whenever youā€™d like without it getting messed up. Amigurumi in particular is great for me since I have ADHD and prefer the faster gratification I get from finishing a project in comparison to clothes which can take days.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
Probably my crochet dress. It was my first viral video and to this day is the longest (and most expensive) project I have ever completed. I will never forget this project since it boosted my social media, and was the first time I had ever ventured out of amigurumi and made a clothing item. It was tough and very time consuming but well worth it!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I am on holiday at the moment so the WIP basket is quite small. Iā€™m currently working on a blue dragon, which is the only project I prepared for my holiday. All the parts have been made during my travels but I am lacking motivation to sew it all together. As for total WIPs, I definitely have at least 5, but usually when I put a project down without completing it within a week it will probably remain a WIP forever. Sorry to those projects.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
Makes: I am most proud of my first (and still only) dress, and the giant toothless that I made for a custom order.

Designs: I am most proud of my longhorn cow design as I made it in one attempt and it is my most complex design!

What is your usual process of designing?
I donā€™t have much of a process going yet since I am still quite new to this world! Usually I will sit down and think about new ideas I could make designs of (usually not very fruitful brainstorming sessions though) and write them down in my notes. More often, I find inspiration in the wild and add them to my notes randomly. Once I have time, Iā€™ll start crocheting the design and writing it down as I go. Most of the time Iā€™m able to execute my vision in one attempt (though it may include frogging one or two rows here and there) which means it can go our for testing soon after I have the idea!

What inspires you to create/design?
Most often I get inspired by plushies I see out in the wild. Iā€™ll think ā€˜this would be really cute as a crochet plushieā€™ and then think of ways to tweak it and recreate it in amigurumi. I also get inspired by drawings, and of course by things that I like. A lot of the time Iā€™ll ask myself ā€œwhat are your favourite things? What plushie would you like to have?ā€ Which helps to get me started.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I donā€™t watch movies often, and unfortunately I have not read a book in a while that isnā€™t a university textbook (sad, I know) but my all time favourite movie is Coraline. You can never go wrong with a cozy night in during the winter watching Coraline! My favourite song at the moment is probably any song by ABRA or ā€˜Saferā€™ by Tyla.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favourite feature on Ribblr has to be the feature that allows you to tap on rows that you have completed to strike them out! When I first started learning to crochet I would write down on my notes app each row that I had completed and it would take me so much time! This feature is such a godsend, especially for new crocheters.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

My favourite designers would be @teeslibrary and @LorettasLoops!

My favourite patterns on Ribblr are: Wisp the Dragon, Cupid bunny, and Strawberry creature pattern!

Thanks so much for being here this week Larissa, itā€™s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badgeā€‹:medal_sports:)

Check out [Stitched by Scott]

20 Likes

Congrats :partying_face::partying_face:
Idk if you will read this but i love your stuff, i have followed you on tiktok for sooo long and watched virtually all you videos. You make the cutest stuff and have inspired me to start making patterns and selling my plushies :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!

1 Like

Congrats on ROTW and good luck in school and with your crochet biz!

1 Like

Congrats on ROTW!

1 Like