Ribblr of the Week: Meet Lily ๐Ÿ…

Say hello to our Ribblr of the Week: Lily! (aka @CrochetCutiesbyLily)

Hey! :wave: Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Lily of Crochet Cuties by Lily! I am 25 years old and I am from Honolulu, Hawaii. I have been crocheting for almost 9 years and I have been running Crochet Cuties for a little over 2 years. Aside from crocheting, I am also a graduate student studying Urban and Regional Planning and I work part time as an assistant transportation planner. When I am not crocheting, I love hiking, going to the beach, eating a lot of snacks, and spending time with my friends and pets.

When did you start crafting and how?
I have been crafting for as long as I can remember! When I was a kid, I used to keep myself entertained by cutting up socks to make myself dolls and toys. This desire to make things evolved into crocheting when I was in high school. I remember crochet bikinis were really starting to trend, but I didnโ€™t have the money to justify buying one at the time. So, I bought a skein of yarn, a crochet hook, and hopped on YouTube! The rest is history.

And how did you start designing?
I feel like Iโ€™ve always been interested in designing. One of the reasons why I enjoyed making my own dolls as a child was because I liked fine tuning the little details and making it look exactly how I wanted to. I studied architecture in undergrad and I feel like that really honed my design skills as well.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I love crocheting, of course! It fascinates me how you can turn just a simple skein of yarn into anything you can imagine! I follow a lot of other crafters on Instagram and I am so intrigued by the diversity of talent that I see on my explore page. Iโ€™d love to try other crafts, like needle punching or ceramics one day.

What was the longest project you worked on?
The longest project I worked on was a cardigan designed by mallooknits. It took a little longer than my other cardigans because this one is a little oversized with a hood and POCKETS! I think I worked on it everyday for at least a month! But I absolutely love how it came out and it is so rewarding to finally finish a big project. It is also light weight, so it is perfect for everyday wear here in Hawaii!

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
My mallard duck crochet pattern (available on Ribblr) works up really quick! I can usually whip one up in about 20-30 minutes.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I am currently working on an order for 2 crochet bread keychains (the pattern is available on Ribblr)! Since starting crochet cuties, I usually only have 1 WIP at a time since I spend all of my crochet time working on orders. I complete my orders in the order that I get them, so I crochet one thing at a time for fairness and efficiency.

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
I think I am most proud of my crochet corn! It was the quickest pattern I worked up and it is very simple to replicate. I love seeing others share their corns with this pattern. I also think the movable husks are fun!

What is your usual process of designing?
Strangely enough, a lot of my best ideas come to me late at night. I may remember something I saw earlier that day that I felt inspired by, and an idea will pop into my head. I immediately open my sketchbook or ipad and start sketching out an idea, and thinking about how I can bring it to life. I usually have to go through a prototype or two before I have a final product that I am happy with.

What inspires you to create/design?
Other crocheters. Ever since I joined the crochet community on Instagram, I have been surrounded by absolute talent and creativity.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
My favorite movie is, and probably always will be, Paddington (both 1 and 2). Paddington is such a cute and feel good movie! If youโ€™re ever feeling down and want a good laugh, throw on Paddington!

Lastly - what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love that videos can be integrated into Ribblr patterns! Sometimes it is hard to explain certain steps using only words, so this feature makes things easier for both the crocheter and the pattern designer!

Thank you so much for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out the Crochet Cuties by Lily shopโ€‹:point_down:

Want more?
Check out our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badgeโ€‹:medal_sports:)

20 Likes

Congratulations!!

5 Likes

Congrats!:tada::confetti_ball::balloon:

6 Likes

Whoo, congrats on ROTW! :partying_face::tada:

6 Likes

Congrats, what an awesome designer!

6 Likes

Congrats!!

5 Likes

Congratulations :tada:! I love your designs :revolving_hearts:!

6 Likes

Congrats!

6 Likes

Congrats! i love your corn

5 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the week!!!

5 Likes

congrats on rotw!!!

6 Likes

congrats on ROTW!!

3 Likes