Ribblr of the week: meet Nathalie 🏅

This week we are delighted to feature Nathalie (@nathalie_knits) of Nathalie’s Knits as our Ribblr of the week!

Hey Nathalie! Please tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! My name is Nathalie, I’m a college student from California majoring in Biopsychology, minoring in German. Knitting is my favorite hobby; it’s kept me entertained and grounded throughout quarantine! I also love reading, taking film photos, and listening to podcasts.

When did you start knitting?
I started knitting in elementary school, when my school formed a knitting club! I’ve been knitting on and off since then.

Is Knitting your favorite type of craft? And if so, why?
My favorite craft type is definitely knitting! Because I’ve been doing it so long, it’s just the thing I’m best at. I also love that I’ve become experienced enough to make my own designs; It’s a big creative outlet for me.

You’re an emerging designer. When did you start designing your own knitting patterns?
I started designing during quarantine. I got back into knitting, like a lot of people, and starting knitting clothes for the first time; before I mainly knitted socks! After knitting a few pieces, I got inspired to design my own simple sweater (now available as my “Autumn Tea Sweater”). I posted my knits on TikTok, and some people asked for patterns. I’m always happy to share my work with others, so I wrote up some patterns! I’ve continued designing since then.

What is your design process?
My usual process for designing is seeing something that inspires me, sketching out an idea, and just starting! I love taking my basic sweater pattern and building on it.

What’s the most recent project you’ve worked on?
The most recent project I’ve worked on was a sweater for my mom’s birthday! I love giving knits away as gifts.

And what was the longest project you worked on so far?
The longest project I’ve worked on was a sweater I knit recently with this repeating swirling pattern; I had to redo the pattern 3 or 4 times, knit and reknit the sleeves, and just knitting the pattern with fair isle throughout took forever! But I think it was definitely worth it, because the final sweater pattern has a great effect.

Any favorite books you’d like to recommend?
I would recommend the book “Tale for the Time Being” by Ruth Ozeki. My dream is to design something knit based on it.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr.
A Ribblr designer I love is Typical Bliss! @typicalbliss designs are so beautiful!

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out Nathalie’s Knits shop :point_down:

Enjoyed reading this? Check out our previous Ribblr of the week posts!

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Share your love in the comments below :purple_heart:

14 Likes

Hi Nathalie, nice to meet you !

4 Likes

Nice to meet you Nathalie! I love your sweater patterns! I’m getting back into knitting and will definitely give them a go. :blush:

4 Likes

I will be checking out that free pattern for the Autumn Tea Sweater. I think I have enough chunky cotton for that. :partying_face:

5 Likes

Hi, I am new, but I love your swirly shirt design. I think it is very cool and unique! <3

6 Likes

Welcome @kimmiekim65! I fancied the swirl jumper but I’m not sure I have a patience required for that at the moment.

5 Likes

So nice to meet you @nathalie_knits! Can’t wait to see more of your designs! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Nice to meet you too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I can’t wait to see! :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!! :smile:

2 Likes