Ribblr of the Week - Meet Ruilin 🏅

Say hello to Ruilin (@AfterWorkCrochet)- our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind AfterWorkCrochet

Tell us a little about yourself
Hello, everyone! I’m Ruilin, and I’m excited to be featured as Ribblr of the Week!
I’m based in Singapore, where I work as an Operations Manager. Outside of work, I’m all about crochet, which is how my brand, "After Work Crochet," came to be.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crocheting in July of 2022!

Being a visual learner, I learned how to crochet from YouTube tutorials and this inspired me to start my own YouTube channel last year. My goal is to provide free, clear, and accessible
tutorials for beginners who, like me, thrive on visual guidance.

And how did you start designing?
My first pattern came about because I wanted to create a large, cuddle-sized plushie using a
lighter yarn. I realized that simply selling plush toys had its limits, so I decided to expand my
reach by creating patterns. This allowed me to connect with fellow crocheters and share my
designs with a broader community.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favorite craft has to be crochet. I love how straightforward it is—just yarn and a hook, and I can get started on a project. It’s incredibly simple and fuss-free, which makes it so relaxing and therapeutic for me. I also enjoy painting, though. It’s great to switch things up and let my
creativity flow in a different way. Both crafts offer their own unique joys and ways to unwind.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
There have been so many memorable projects since I started crocheting two years ago! If I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely be the very first pattern test I worked on. It was such a significant milestone and really sparked my passion for crocheting.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’m currently designing my next crochet pattern and creating a YouTube tutorial to go along
with it. I’m really excited because it’s inspired by the latest Artist Made Collection from my
favorite K-pop group, Seventeen. On top of that, I’ve got two works in progress at the
moment—one is a wearable piece, and the other is a tapestry. I must admit, the challenge of
juggling both projects sometimes leads to a bit of procrastination. I tend to get distracted when I can’t complete a project in one sitting, but I’m enjoying the creative journey nonetheless!

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I’m especially proud of all my projects using fluffy yarn! The process can be pretty tedious, but the results are always so rewarding. There’s something incredibly satisfying about the end product that makes all the effort totally worth it.

What is your usual process of designing?
I begin with a clear image or concept of the final plushie in mind. From there, I break it down
into basic shapes, which helps simplify the pattern writing process. After establishing the basic shapes, I draft the pattern and start creating prototypes. I make several prototypes, making small adjustments with each one until I’m satisfied with the final design.

What inspires you to create/design?
The crochet community is a huge source of inspiration for me! There are so many talented and creative crocheters out there, and they never cease to amaze me. Their innovation and passion fuel my own creativity and drive me to keep exploring new designs.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Here are some recommendations I think you might enjoy:

• Song: "Kidult" by Seventeen – There are so many great tracks from them, but if you’re
    new to their music, this is a fantastic place to start!
  • Book: A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks – This was the first book I read by him,
    and it left a lasting impression.
  • Movie: Pride & Prejudice (2005) – I just keep re-watching this classic; it never gets old.

I hope you find these as delightful as I do!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I’m definitely a fan of the interactive patterns! Being able to track my progress is such a game- changer. Plus, creating patterns with Ribbuild is a breeze—it makes the whole process so much easier and more enjoyable.

Who are some designers you would like to give a shoutout to?
Here are five patterns I absolutely adore:

1. @craftmeansart - Flowerpot Pug pattern
  2. @loopedbyanna - Garden Goose pattern
  3. @teeslibrary - 2-in-1 Costume Bears pattern
  4. @crochetbykelsie - Pippin the Baby Seal pattern
  5. @Mrslevario - Chubby Sponge and Chubby Star patterns

Each one has its own unique charm and has truly inspired me in my crochet journey!

Thanks so much for being here this week Ruilin, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out AfterWorkCrochet

14 Likes

Thank you for the shoutout Ruilin 🫶🏻

3 Likes

Awwuh! Congratulations @AfterWorkCrochet ! Your patterns are so adorable and fluffy! <3

2 Likes

@crochetbykelsie Of course, pippin is one of my fav patterns i tested for! :smiling_face::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

@cheerfulcoyote Thank you! :face_holding_back_tears::two_hearts:

1 Like