Ribblr of the Week - Meet Sarah 🏅

Say hello to Sarah (@indigochilduk ) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind Indigo Child U.K.

Hi! Happy to have you here, tell us a little about yourself.
Hey, I’m Sarah, owner of Indigo Child U.K. I’m 24 from Manchester.

When did you start crafting and how?
When I was 10 my Nan & mum taught me how to do basic knitting, but it wasn’t until I was 17 when I was suffering with mental health issues that I taught myself to crochet watching Youtube videos. I found the whole process really therapeutic & it helped me get through hard times.

And how did you start designing?
Once I was at an advanced beginner crochet level, I started using sewing patterns to crochet certain clothing, doing trial & error of the stitches to make it match the pattern pieces. When I was confident in making certain clothing, I would then play around with colours & textures to give the clothing more depth, with my first ever collection being inspired by artists work I liked at the time.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favourite craft will always be crochet. I love that when you make a mistake, you can unravel your work easily & start again, and there’s so many possibilities to what you can crochet. I used to struggle with knitting before I knew how to crochet, because if you drop a stitch it’d hard to fix it again, plus I found it a lot harder to make designs with knitting.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
The most memorable project I’ve ever made was the ‘Pastel Pride Playsuit’, mostly because the famous singer Melanie Martinez had purchased it and was seen wearing it on her TikTok. It was also our best seller at the time & we still to this day get asked when we will be making a pattern for it!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I have a lot of different projects on at the minute, from collaborations to new patterns being designed for next year. I’m currently working on a new home decor drop to be released early November, featuring new wall hangings, trinket dishes & much more!

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
The Vulva cushions & earrings will always be my favorite design as it’s what helped get us on the map & is our best selling pattern right now.

What is your usual process of designing?
When designing new projects, I normally look on Pinterest & Instagram for inspiration, then draw out ideas on paper or Stitch Fiddle (depending on what I’m making). I then normally ask my followers what their favourite out of my designs is so I know that people definitely like what I want to make.

What inspires you to create/design?
I find inspiration in artwork, films & seeing other crochet artists work. I love seeing what other people think of designing from a ball of yarn, and how far some people can take crochet is amazing.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Recently, I finished reading a book called ‘Bunny’ by Mona Awad. I definitely recommend it for the unhinged girlies/readers out there, I couldn’t put it down!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
The best feature on Ribblr is the Ribbuild pattern maker, I love how easy it is to write out patterns on your software & if I copy and paste a pattern I’ve already written, it does all the rows and separates it for me! :slight_smile:

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

1. My 5 favorite pattern makers on Ribblr & their best patterns right now are;
    @realmdesigns
    @Loveindy
    @crochetbao
    @nastjacrochets
    @Tooher-Rudd (Made by Molly)

Thanks so much for being here this week Sarah, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out Indigo Child U.K and all of their amazing patterns!

10 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Congratulations on ribblr of the week!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkles:

1 Like

Congrats on ribblr of the week :clap: