Ribblr of the Week - Meet Siph šŸ…

Say hello to Siph (@siphs)- our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Siphs.Studio]

Tell us a little about yourself
Hello everyone ~ I am Siph, and the creator behind @siphs.studio (both here and on instagram)! I am 26 years old and am currently in the last semester of a masterā€™s in computer science. Originally, Iā€™m chinese but have been living in Denmark since I was 3! (helloo my fellow danes!)

My hobbies include crafting and gaming, but I am also heavily influenced by napping and lazing around in general! Iā€™m a real homebody, and a fun fact about me is that the longest streak where I havenā€™t left my home for even a walk was 6 months!

When did you start crafting and how?
I have always been fond of anything cute, so when I first discovered amigurumi I was intrigued and really fascinated with how it was possible to create so many shapes using just yarn and a hook! But it wasnā€™t until a couple of months after discovering the craft that I finally committed and tried it out! The final push was when I stumbled upon the cutest pattern that I just knew I had to make!

I learned everything from scratch by looking up the stitches on youtube! ~ and soon after, I began spending all of my money on yarn <3

And how did you start designing?
I have always looked up to pattern creators, and about 6 months after I had crocheted my first plushie, I was finally ready for another challenge! It ligned up perfectly with the new year, and I made the new yearā€™s resolution of creating one pattern for each month of 2024! So please look forward to my designs! <3

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Iā€™ve always enjoyed many different types of creativity! However, the only craft Iā€™ve been able to hold on to consistently for so long is definitely amigurumi! There is just something special about holding the finished plush in my hands!

Aside from amigurumi, I also enjoy drawing and I am looking to pick up clay art as well!

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
This is a really difficult question because I give my absolute all for every plushie and pattern test I do! However, the first that came to mind was the Lili Bunnie(@minanmia). The pattern design is so creative and out of the box that it really exceeded my expectations of what could be created through crochet! It was also the first time I used wire in my plushies, and I have been using wire frequently since then!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
When I started out I was very adamant on finishing every WIP before moving onto the next. But yeah, we can all guess how that went ~ I have now filled boxes of WIPs that are only opened to add in new WIPs!

I am however actively in the process of testing and refining my newest pattern Rainy Froggy which should be released soon! I hope you like him <3

(I can also reveal that if you enjoy my food-inspired designs, you might be interested in my next pattern!)

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I am so so proud of every single design! That said, my 2-in-1 cake roll buddies will always have a special place in my heart, as it is the first pattern I have ever created. It was a really long process where I got to figure out the flow of designing a pattern, getting it tested etc.!

As for makes, I am very proud of how my cow in a (honey)bear onesie(@gisellescrochets) turned out! I remember being so incredibly pleased of managing to make the honey ear and the bees since they werenā€™t included in the original pattern!

What is your usual process of designing?
My process of designing usually starts with finding inspiration! I look for anything from a theme, concept, drawing, a specific animal or even a palette! Then I like to sketch out the design to something more concrete that I can work with!

Once I have finished the design itself, I begin to look at which separate pieces I would need to create in order to realize my design - and also how each part could be realized! Some shapes are definitely easier to visualize compared to others, and for the complicated pieces I usually think it over a couple days before picking up the hook!

Then I start crocheting! I usually create at least two of each design! The first one is to see if the plushie turns out the way I envisioned, and the second one to minimize mistakes in my pattern before it goes out to my lovely testers!

After a testing period of (usually) 10 days, I gather the feedback for the final edits, and the pattern is released for everyone to grab!

What inspires you to create/design?
While I just generally love cute things, the crocheting community definitely plays a big role! I love how supportive and creative everyone is, and I am often reminded of new ways you can create! I also still canā€™t believe how many people are interested in my designs and creations <3

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?

Unfortunately, I am incapable of doing anything while crocheting as I have a habit of counting all the stitches. I am also good at using my entire free time on crocheting, so I have nothing to recommend! However, as a gamer I can definitely recommend Stardew Valley if youā€™re into cozy, relaxing games <3

Share a funny story that happened to you recently!

Today I ate a popsicle as my lunch, and my boyfriend compares me to a raccoon on a daily basis (oĖ˜ā—”Ė˜o)

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?

I love how effortlessly Ribblr allows me to keep track of my progress! As a designer, I always use Ribblr as my notebook when creating patterns, I just really enjoy how you can easily adjust everything line for line!

As an artist, I am in love with the way you can cross off the rows/rounds you have finished! I used to keep track of the rows on a piece of paper with a pen, but Ribblr really made it so much easier.

Take over our feed! Which 3 - 5 designers/patterns on Ribblr are your favorite? (We will share them on the community and on our social platforms)

There are soo many talented artists on ribblr! However, I do want to highlight @sleepyfoxtreasures, @minanmia, @kumamigurumi and @asphodelcrochet for the creativity in their patterns!

Thanks so much for being here this week Siph, itā€™s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badgeā€‹:medal_sports:)

Check out [Siphs.Studios]

24 Likes

Congrats Siph!

4 Likes

Congratulations :tada:! Also how do you qualify for things like these, just out of curiosity :laughing:

7 Likes

Thereā€™s a drop down answer to this in the OP :purple_heart:

6 Likes

CGS ROTW!! (Cs

4 Likes

Cg! Iā€™m so glad I saw this here, your patterns are absolutely adorable! :heart:

5 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that :two_hearts::pleading_face:

7 Likes

YAYAYAYAYA CONGRATSSSS (so kawaiiii

4 Likes

Love your cute designs and congrats on ROTW! Good luck in school and crochet. :smiling_face::yarn:

2 Likes

OMG HER STUFF IS SO FREAKING CUTEEEEE :sob::sob::sob::sob::pinched_fingers:t3::sparkles:Iā€™m dying

3 Likes

CGG ON ROTW~ UR THINGS ARE So FREAKIN CUUUTE !!

3 Likes

Omg your stuff is so cute ive been following your shop since ive got on ribblr!!! @siphs congrats!!!

4 Likes

Congrats on ROTW! Your patterns are SO cute and I hope your shop has the success it deserves!

2 Likes

Congratulations @siphs ! I have never seen your shop so I took a look and love your patterns! They are so adorable! I loved reading through your answers. You sound a lot like me haha!

3 Likes

eee congrats @siphs !! im a huge fan :smiley:

3 Likes