Ribblr of the Week - Meet Sophie 🏅

Say hello to Sophie (@crochetingmoonfairy) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Crocheting Moon Fairy]

Hi! Happy to have you here, tell us a little about yourself.
My name‘s Sophie and I‘m 19. I just started studying to become an elementary school teacher (years 1-4 in maths and German and 1-9 in English). I spend a lot of my time crocheting, knitting, making my own stickers, dyeing yarn and reading. I guess a lot of my hobbies are “grandma” hobbies xD

When did you start crafting and how?
I‘ve always loved crafting. When I was little everyone knew me as the crafter, because I’d craft all day xD I started knitting when I was about 9 and started crocheting sometime after that. My grandma taught me how to knit (thank you grandma! :heart_hands:) and I learnt how to crochet through YouTube.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing, so that I could bring all of the magical creations I had in my head to life. I also wanted to wear clothes that fit my exact needs, so designing was a no brainer for me. There were a lot of things I wanted, that weren’t available, so I just made them myself.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I’d probably say crocheting! I love all types of crafts (may it be sticker making, knitting or crocheting), but crocheting holds a special place in my heart. It’s kind of a creative outlet for me, so whenever I’m stressed, I tend to crochet. I also really like the artistic freedom it gives me: I can just start crocheting and free-handing, and it’ll turn out really pretty in the end.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
The most memorable piece I worked on is probably the Marnie Top. It was my very first pattern design, so it was a really exciting time. It still makes me so happy seeing people making and wearing this design! :face_holding_back_tears:

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’ll be honest, I probably have about 5 wips at the moment! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I’m crocheting two dresses (one of them will be a new pattern), knitting a miffy jumper, crocheting my sister a sweater vest for her birthday and knitting some ear warmers. I always have multiple wips, to have a variety to do, so that I never get bored.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of? Share a picture!
I’m probably most proud of this blouse I crocheted. It’s so intricate, with lots of new lacey stitches and beads. It’s inspired by one of my favourite movies (the handmaiden). It’s so special to me, because I spent sooo long on it, it probably took me over a month to finish.

What is your usual process of designing?
I usually start out by sketching out what I want to design. I start with general shapes, and refine those later. The general shapes are important, so that I know how to break up the garment when crocheting. :sweat_smile: I also choose a colour palette and look for stitches I could use. For this I have loads of stitch guide books, where I can browse. I always test-crochet a swatch to see if I like the stitch. I take measurements and start crocheting. After each step I write down what I did and take a picture, for future reference (and pattern making)

What inspires you to create/design?
It inspires me so much to see people wearing my designs, it makes me feel like a proud mum. It feels like I’m sharing part of my joy crocheting with other people, and I love that. It also inspires me how happy I am when I wear my own garments. As some may now I have a medical device though my belly and I was really self conscious of people thinking it was weird. I never wore crop tops because of it. But since making my own clothes (and own crop tops) I’ve grown to not be afraid of people seeing it. It’s kind of a confidence boost!!

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Oooh I love this question because I love reading. I have a lot of favorite books, but the two books that stand out the most to me are: (1) “Men who hate women” by Laura Bates, which is a nonfiction book about extreme communities who despise women. It’s an excellent but very tough read. I also really recommend (2) “Our wives under the sea” by Julia Armfield, which is a Sapphic litfic horror. It starts where most books would end and revolves around themes like grief and change.

Share a funny story that happened to you recently!
This is a recurring event at the moment, but whenever I crochet or knit my little sister (who’s nearly two) runs towards me and shouts “help” and want to help me by holding my hooks and stabbing the yarn. It’s incredibly funny to watch xD

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I really love the fact that the patterns are interactive. It’s super helpful and I always know where I left off. I also really enjoy the community aspect of the app! I love how supportive everyone on here is, it’s really nice to see! :heart:

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr

There are soo many talented creators I love, but these are the top ones at the moment:
@stitchedbyemma
@daisynozaki
@devouthand
@phatwool
@IamLankaDesigns

Thanks so much for being here this week Sophie, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Crocheting Moon Fairy] and all of their amazing patterns!

19 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week! I would love to see the stitckers you made and the yarn you dye sometime! :smile:

10 Likes

Wooohoo i love your patterns so much! Congrats on ribblr of the week :two_hearts::sparkles:

7 Likes

Whooo! Congrats on ribblr of the week! Your patterns are so cute :partying_face:🫶🏻

5 Likes

Love my girl Sophie!! Well desrved! :heart: & thank you for the shoutout :heart:

5 Likes

Congrats! I really like the white blouse you made! Before even reading i was already zomming into the picture to see it better, love the details!

3 Likes

Congratulations, Sophie! Your crochet pieces are so beautiful and magical! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us all! <3

3 Likes

Congrats Sophie, LOVED the pastel/Victorian style tops

1 Like