Ribblr of the week: meet Tobey 🏅

Say hello to Tobey (@tobeytimecrochet) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind TobeyTimeCrochet!

Hi Tobey! :wave: Please tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! My name is Tobey King. I am 47 years old and a mom to 2 beautiful children, 10 and 26 years old. I am from South Texas and I have been crocheting for almost 10 years now.

When did you start your crafting journey?
I started crocheting shortly after my youngest was born. I quit my job to stay home with her and realized it was a great opportunity to learn how to make sentimental gifts for her.

That’s lovely. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And how did you get into designing?
I decided to get serious about designing and writing patterns shortly after the pandemic. I knew that I wanted to create a collection of dolls that were unique to me and had quite a bit of time to work on that.

What is your usual process of designing?
The first thing I do when I have an idea for a design is sketch it out. Then, I gather all the yarn and supplies including a pen and paper. I like to jot down what I’m doing as I go. There is always a bit of trial and error and alot frogging.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favorite craft is crochet amigurumi. I love the instant gratification of being able to complete a small project in an afternoon. Some projects do take a little longer but I don’t usually make anything that takes longer than an afternoon or two.

What inspires you to create?
I think a big motivation for me to create patterns is to share that anybody can get crafting and that making your own clothes from scratch is much more rewarding than buying into fast fashion.

What’s the most recent project you’ve worked on?
The most recent project I worked on was a personalized custom doll for a young woman who wanted a doll of her step-father to gift to her mother. He recently passed away and in order to help me in my creative process she shared funny stories and pictures of him. It was a really special project that touched my heart.

That’s really touching!
Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?

I am most proud of the Bernie’s Mittens doll. I was able to do so much good through that doll and make so many amazing connections with other crocheters.

Any favorite music/artist you would like to recommend? :musical_note:
I recently started listening to Taylor Swift while I crochet and I’m obsessed. Highly recommend it!

We would love to know - what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I actually have two favorite features, the app and the ability to cross off each line as I go. These are life changing features for me!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
I love @drewbieszoo. I joined Ribblr to purchase his super cute patterns!

Thank you so much for sharing Tobey! :purple_heart:

Check out Tobey’s shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Questions or compliments? Share them below!

12 Likes