Ribblr of the week: Meet Vicky! 🏅

Say hi to Vicky (@Ernilicrochet) the designer behind Ernili.crochet, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hi! Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Vicky, I’m from the small country Luxembourg and I’m a part time crochet designer and full time student.
My favourite things are plants, butterflies and moths, fashion and of course crochet.

When did you start crafting and how?
As a child I always loved crafting and being creative and I was always encouraged by my mom. She was also the person who taught me how to crochet when I was 7 and even tho I could only crochet very ugly looking scarfs at that time I was immediately hooked.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing during the pandemic when I (like many other people) was looking for a new way to fight boredom. At this time I also noticed the rise in popularity with crochet and I realised how versatile crochet actually is, so I tried making my first crochet bralette top. This turned out to be a massive fail because I had no idea how to make a bralette top and I wasn’t even aware that crochet patterns were a thing, but after a lot of trial and error I finally managed to make a wearable piece of clothing. After this success I felt incredibly proud and motivated and I started creating more and more designs which eventually led to me making an instagram account dedicated to sharing my creations with everyone who might be interested in them.

That’s awesome! So is it safe to say Crochet is your favorite craft type?
My favourite craft type at the moment is definitely crochet but I would love to learn how to machine sew because I always admire people who can sew and I would love to make some designs using fabric instead of yarn.

What was the longest project you worked on?
The longest project I ever worked on was a patchwork cardigan. It was one of my first projects during the pandemic and I kept putting it off and starting new projects so it took me a whole month to finish. Sewing the different squares together was also very time consuming and I was still very inexperienced with sewing crochet pieces together.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
Some of my shortest project are just plain scrunchies. They take like 5-10 minutes to make and are super fun.
I always make them as gifts for friends and they really like them.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I am actually not working on any project at the moment because I’m concentrating on my final exams but in my head I am already thinking about new design ideas. I have like 3 unfinished project just laying around in my room and one of them has been laying there for over a year now, but I’m probably going to unravel that one and start a new project with the yarn.

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
I’d have to say my Arachne top is the design that I’m most proud of, it is so versatile and easy to make, it has also been quite popular and I love seeing people in their finished versions of the top because they always look incredible!

What is your usual process of designing?
I usually come up with ideas when I’m bored in class and then I start sketching my ideas in my notebook, so my notebook is like a mix between class notes and drawings.
I also like making Mindmaps with my friends, hearing their ideas and trying to incorporate them into a design, they help me a lot during the design process especially when it comes to choosing the colours for projects.

What inspires you to create & design?
I get inspiration from a lot of places like Fashion shows, Pinterest, series and movies or sometimes just from people that I see in public.
I also like to look into fashion trends from different decades, especially the 70s and 80s or y2k ,to find inspiration for my designs.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :notes:
Music-wise I would absolutely recommend listening to Taylor swift because she is kind of getting me through this whole exam season and she’s just an amazing song writer.
I also recently binge watched every season of Brooklyn Nine-nine and I loved every second of it so I would 100% recommend watching!

Care to share a funny story that happened to your recently? :sweat_smile:
I was planning to study in the National Library on a Monday to prepare for my exams, so I took the bus to the city (which is a one hour ride) but when I arrived I realised that the library was closed on Monday and that I had to wait at least an hour until I could get the next bus home. To make the wait a little bit less boring I decided to go to the shopping mall next to the library, so at the end of the day I wasn’t able to study a lot but at least I had fun going on a little shopping spree.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
Definitely the Ribbuild feature, it’s so convenient when writing down patterns!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I want to shoutout @Tooher-Rudd because I love her designs and I think she is super talented.

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out Ernili.crochet shop now​:point_down:

14 Likes

Oh wow. With the bus ride, I would have been sooo mad but like you said, shopping always lift up a person’s mood. Love your designs and keep up the good work. YOURE DOING GREAT!

5 Likes