Ribblr of the Week: Meet Wai! 🏅

Say hello to Wai (@waicrochets) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind waicrochets!

Hey! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! My name is Wai, I’m 22 and I come from a small country on Borneo Island called Brunei. I’m currently a civil engineering student in university here and I will be graduating next summer. I spend my free time just playing relaxing games, which is where I get most of my inspiration to crochet characters I adore!

When did you start crafting and how?
I started crocheting 8 years ago, when my friends taught me basic stitches in school. From then, I relied on YouTube videos to help me learn more and improve. I only began to take more interest in my hobby earlier this year.

And how did you start designing? :bulb:
I stumbled upon this triceratops tutorial video and suddenly had the urge to make one. It made me love creating plushies out of yarn. I made an Instagram account just to journal my makes, then discovered a whole new community for this! I got more inspired to design something, so I started off with something small like my Shiba Sushi pattern, since Shibas are my favourite dogs.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I don’t really have a favourite type since I only know how to crochet, so crochet it is!

What was the longest project you worked on?
My BMO plushie took such a considerable amount of time (probably 20+ hours) since it has so many intricate details.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
The shortest project (about 20 minutes) is the baby froggy by @Jadrian!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I am currently working on my Shiba plush, but a Christmas themed one! Honestly, I have too many WIPs right now since I can’t always concentrate on one thing. Maybe like 10? Haha oops :sweat_smile:

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
I would say my Minecraft inspired axolotl! It’s quite simple and quick to make, and lots of people loved it.

What is your usual process of designing?
Sometimes I sketch out a rough idea on my iPad. Once I have a clear idea, I just grab my hook and start a lengthy process of trial and error. I type out any possible patterns on Notes from start to end, then refine the pattern again by remaking that plushie.

What inspires you to create/design?
I get most of my inspiration from my favourite things, animals or characters from games and animated shows.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :closed_book:
I’m currently on my second reread of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, so for any fantasy lovers out there, I highly recommend that book series!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I like how I can have my patterns in all of my devices which makes them portable. I also like the interactive feature to just cross out a part of the pattern along the way, since I always forget which row I’m on.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
Here’s a shoutout to @avery_and_co They are the sweetest and kindest person I’ve met in this community, and their works always inspire me to create too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out waicrochets shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

33 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week!!! :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

8 Likes

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us!

7 Likes

Congratulations!!!

7 Likes

Congratulations, and thank you also!
Share Discover GIF

6 Likes

Congratulations! :clap:

4 Likes

Well Done Reaction GIF by Aardman Animations

5 Likes

congatulations on ROTW!! :tada::tada:

5 Likes

Congratulations! I love reading all the Ribblrs of the Week!

5 Likes

Congrats!!! I love your patterns too! So cute!!!

5 Likes