Ribblr of the Week - Meet Zoe 🏅

Say hello to Zoe (@windrisescrochet) the designer behind windrises.crochet, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hi! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi everyone, I’m Zoe! I’m a neurodivergent creator from Malaysia. I turn 20 this year and I’m currently doing A-Levels, hoping to do neuroscience or linguistics in the future! When I’m not crocheting, you can find me watching anime/reading manga, drumming, in a swimming pool or on a camping trip.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started because of my mom! She loves anything arts and craftsy, and she’s really skilled in crafts that require an eye for detail. When I was young, we would always find something to create over the school holidays. I still remember this Christmas-themed miniature living room we made together using a DIY kit when I was seven. I learnt crocheting half from friends, half from Youtube a long time ago, and picked it back up again sometime in 2021.

And how did you start designing?
To be honest, I started designing as a means to keep myself interested in crochet. I have a tendency to drop hobbies after a while so I tried to motivate myself by making crochet into a game with “levels”. I started from making an Instagram account (@windrises.crochet) to display my creations, then doing pattern tests, then attempting to write patterns myself. After my first design (the birb cube cake), I learnt a lot and realised that I like the challenge of creating something from scratch. It’s like a puzzle that keeps me constantly engaged and excited to start new projects.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
So far it’s got to be crochet! I like how versatile the craft is. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn’t require much brainpower and I can crochet in class to keep myself from fidgeting. It’s also compact and easy to bring anywhere, you just need a ball of yarn and a hook to start crocheting. It’s both sustainable and affordable!

What was the longest project you worked on?
Probably my Sanrio Teddies pattern. It took me a long time to get the body proportions right but I’m happy with the end result!

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
My bear cube loaf! i finished designing and writing down the pattern in just a few days, which is uncharacteristically fast for me.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :wink:
I’m currently working on designing new patterns! As for the amount of WIPs… I’ve lost count.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I freehanded this Crazy Slots (from Hunter X Hunter) pin a while back and I still think it’s my magnum opus.

What is your usual process of designing?
I usually start by finding a reference photo and sketching out modifications, then it’s over to my yarn stash where I dig for colours that work well together. After that it’s just crocheting, frogging and taking pictures (sometimes shedding a tear or two). I’m big on proportions and shapes, so I spend a lot of time redoing parts until i’m satisfied with the end result.

What inspires you to create and design?
Usually it’s cute pictures of plushies on Pinterest but I also get inspired by certain colour combinations or palettes that interest me.

Now for some pop culture! Any favorite song, book, or movie you would like to recommend?
:books: “Piranesi” by Susanna Clarke and “The Submarine At Night” by Chen Chuncheng are two of my recent favourites! I’m currently reading “Babel” by R.F. Kuang.
:clapper: For Studio Ghibli or Makoto Shinkai lovers, I suggest checking out “Summer Ghost” and “Summer Wars”! They’re both incredibly underrated movies.
:headphones: “Spring Thief” acoustic cover by Saku on Youtube (original version by Yorushika) is the song I wake up to every morning.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
Definitely the edit yarn colour feature in Ribbuild, I love how it automatically highlights the colours in the pattern. It’s just a small detail but it’s really helpful!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
@tinybunnycrochet and @eggsnfloof are insanely talented, please go check them out!

Thank you for sharing Zoe! :purple_heart:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out windrises.crochet shop now​:point_down:

32 Likes

Share Discover GIF

7 Likes

Oh My God Wow GIF by 9Now

7 Likes

Congratulations :confetti_ball: on ROTW!!!

5 Likes

Nice to meet you. It was fun looking through your shop again. This pattern made me smile.

5 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week :smile::partying_face::tada:

5 Likes

Oh my goodness I love your patterns!!!

4 Likes

Yayyy I love Zoe’s designs one of if maybe my fav designer

5 Likes

Congrats! :tada: You definitely deserve a shout-out! Your Instagram content always leaves me feeling inspired. Can’t wait to see the new patterns you’re working on. :blush:

4 Likes

happy congrats GIF by Ivo Adventures

5 Likes

Happy Great Job GIF by sendwishonline.com

5 Likes

Cute patterns!

4 Likes