Ribblr of the week: Say hello to Lydia! 🏅

We’re excited to introduce you all to Lydia (@wondercocreations) of WonderCo Creations - our Ribblr of the week!

Lydia is an up-and-coming Knitting designer who makes beautiful garments!
Scroll down to read our short interview and comment below with your questions & compliments :point_down:

Hey Lydia! Tell us a little about yourself
Hi! My name is Lydia and I am currently a junior at Texas A&M University studying sociology. I hope to someday become a lawyer, but I also love artistic and creative pursuits, and have recently fallen in love with the world of knitting!

Is Knitting your favorite type of craft? :yarn:
My favorite type of craft is absolutely knitting. The meditative nature of knitting allows me to get out of my head and simply enjoy creating. I love the ability to play around with color and different needle/yarn combinations to create one-of-a-kind garments that fit my personal style!

So, when did you start crafting and how?
I have been crafting for my whole life, as my family is very artistically inclined and my siblings and I were always encouraged to pursue all sorts of craft mediums. However, I didn’t start knitting until this past August. I had been punch-needling for a few months prior, and I found myself wanting to explore other fiber arts. I decided on a whim to try knitting, bought the yarn and needles the next day, and immediately fell in love.

And how did you start designing?
I dove head first into knitting and had my first sweater finished 20 days after I first picked up a pair of needles! Since then, it’s been my philosophy that if you can take things one step at a time, you can knit anything you can dream up in your head. My first improvised design was a patchwork sweater, which ended up being far too oversized, a bit stiff, and had very strange seaming on it. But I learned from my mistakes and kept trying. I love improvising designs and writing patterns of my own!

Which of your designs are you most proud of? :clap:
This is such a hard question to answer because I truly feel so proud of all of my knits. However, I’d have to say I’m probably the most proud of my Tulip Sweater design. It’s not the most popular of my two patterns, but it holds such a special place in my heart. I love knitwear to have a classy and elegant shape, be very simple to knit, but also be super interesting because of the use of color. I searched all over for patterns that felt genuinely accessible for my price range and skill level (that I would still want to wear) and didn’t really find anything that fit my criteria. So I designed it myself! And for that reason I’ll always be so proud of my first design!

What was the longest project you worked on?
The longest projects I ever worked on were my first sweater (shoutout to the Saturn Jumper by @theknitedit!) and my first patchwork sweater, which both took me about 20 days each. The biggest project I’ve ever made was probably a custom Poppy Cardi I made that was an XXL and was also extra long. I usually get impatient with my knits and end up making them cropped because I want to see the end product, but this one forced me to slow down and have patience! Still, it only took me about 6 days to make.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
This winter I made quite a few beanies to donate with yarn I had laying around. I found an uber simple pattern that is essentially just a garter stitch rectangle sewn up, and I can crank out one of those in 2 or 3 hours!

What’s the most recent project you’ve worked on?
I recently finished a Tulip Sweater that I made for myself, and now I’m working on a version of that sweater that has a v-neck instead of a boatneck, and has wide sleeves (keep your eyes peeled for a new pattern!!)

Share a funny story that happened to you recently
I went to get my tires rotated recently and finally, at the age of 20, had the good sense to ask my dad what tire rotating was. After he explained it, I realized that up until that point I had just thought that the mechanic took your tires and spun them really fast and then put them back on the car. It was not my sharpest moment.

That’s hilarious! :joy: Any favorite music or books you’d like to recommend?
My all-time favorite piece of music is Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No.2 in C Minor, Op. 18: II. Adagio sostenuto. That, or anything Ariana Grande has ever done. Also, the book Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson absolutely changed my life!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature on Ribblr is the accessible way that the instructions are formatted and the ability to change font sizes as needed. As a pattern designer, I often worry that the way I format my pattern PDFs may make it inaccessible/hard to read for some people. Knowing that I can simply direct them to Ribblr to buy the pattern, and it will be fully accessible for them, is something I am very grateful for!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
For all my crochet friends! Holly Woodward Designs makes the most beautiful and elegant crochet patterns that look so simple but so genius! If you’re looking for absolutely gorgeous and size-inclusive crochet patterns, Holly (@hollywoodwarddesigns) is your person!

Thank you for sharing Lydia! It’s so lovely to get to know you. :purple_heart:

Check out the WonderCo Creation shop:

Enjoyed reading this? Check out our previous Ribblr of the week posts!

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Questions and/or compliments for Lydia? Comment below :point_down:

15 Likes

Awesome stuff! Looking forward to the new design

1 Like

Thank you for sharing about yourself @wondercocreations!
I love reading these, it makes me so happy to hear everyone’s personal stories of how they started crafting, and I love feeling connected to so many different people around the world through crafting! :purple_heart:

1 Like

Nice to read about you, Lydia. I love your Tulip sweater !

1 Like