Ribblr of the Week: Say hello to Nadia! 🏅

Say hello to Nadia (@IamLankaDesigns) the designer behind IamLankaDesigns, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hi :wave: Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Nadia. Being a designer has always been my dream since I was a little girl. I’m not calling myself a designer right now. But at least I could create my dream dress now, and I’m so grateful to find crochet.

When did you start crafting and how?
It was late December, 2020 when I started. During covid I wasn’t allowed to go out, it was so frustrating staying at home 24/7. So, one day I was scrolling through TikTok, and found this video played on my fyp. There was a girl making a unique sweater that I’ve never seen with only a hook and yarns. I thought it was so cool how a simple yarn could turn into something so beautiful. So, I’ve decided that I also want to learn how to do that. I bought myself my first 3.5mm crochet hook with some medium size yarn to start.

And how did you start designing?
I was inspired by some of my fellow crocheter on Instagram. I used to watch youtube tutorials all the time when I want to start making something, until one day I’ve decided to stop watching a full step by step tutorial, and start creating my own design and make it into reality.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Crocheting and knitting is no doubt my all time favorite crafts! I love that I could create and love the repeatable stitches that I could work on while I’m watching my favorite shows, this really helps me to calm whenever I feel anxious.

What was the longest project you worked on?
My longest project is Amara Set and Calla Dress , and Picnic Dress by @by.readbean on IG, last but not least Maid You Fall by @oshenknits on IG. They all took me 2 months to finish.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I have 4 wips on hand. I’m working on 2 Amelia Peplum , one with the og straps, and one with puff sleeves, currently designing a pants, and sheer dress.

That’s so exciting!
Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?

My most proud of is Calla Dress, still couldn’t believe I created it.

Do you have a usual process of designing?
Crochet first, or sometimes I sketch it out before crocheting. Usually, I always crochet and taking notes in the process.

What inspires you to create/design?
All the support I got from all my friends on IG!

Oh, that’s awesome!
And now for some pop culture. Any favorite books you’d like to recommend? :books:

Books: Maybe You Should Talk To Someone, Four Agreements, The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
Ribbuild is my fav feature, it surprise me how I can convert my pattern easily to become interactive!

Lastly, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
@cosmaudi (Andrea is one of my fav designer).

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out IamLankaDesigns shop now​:point_down:

24 Likes

Congratulations :tada: You do have some stunning designs!

11 Likes

Change this! You ARE a designer. Good job. It’ll be fun to watch your new creations.

9 Likes

Your dress is amazing, you are so clever it looks like some really fancy dress someone would pay thousands for with gucci or something.

7 Likes

Congratulations! :tada::tada::purple_heart:

8 Likes

girl, some big designer brand NEEDS to hire you! Never sell yourself short. YOU ARE A DESIGNER!!! absolutely amazingly talented.

8 Likes

for real. you got celebs over here paying top dollar for all them ugly dresses just because some big brand made it when they need to go to Nadia.

7 Likes

:clap:

6 Likes

Some people don’t know how to spend their money and they always spend it on manky rags that have some fancy brand on it.

6 Likes

Exactly. At least WE know who to go to when we want to look good for an event…our girl Nadia is gone hook us up and that’s on Kermit sipping tea :joy:

7 Likes

Absolutely beautiful :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Congratulations! Your patterns look great!

3 Likes