Ribblr of the Week: Say hello to Tash! 🏅

Say hello to Tash @avery_and_co the designer behind Fibres_of_whimsy, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hey Tash! :wave: Tell us a little about yourself.
Hello! My name is Natasha (she/her), but I go by Tash on most online spaces. You can find my crochet works on instagram @fibres_of_whimsy . I am an 18 year old university student born and raised in a small New Zealand town. Currently I am studying towards getting a qualification in creative writing and the literary arts.

When did you start crafting and how?
I believe that everyone in this world is a creative at heart, and we all express that in different ways. For me, I always enjoyed making things with my hands, polymer clay especially was something that offered a great sensory experience and helped me to bring my fantastical ideas to life. I’ve changed mediums a lot as I’ve grown up, but crochet is something that has really connected with me on a personal level.

That’s awesome! And we couldn’t agree more.
Now, how did you start designing?
Creativity has been one of the things I’ve valued my entire life, and I think that when I learnt how to crochet just one year ago it gave me a perfect opportunity to see how I can manipulate fibres into something you wouldn’t have thought of before. It is amazing to test your mind and see what you can do with a ball of yarn, and designing in itself has been somewhat of a therapeutic exercise for me.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
It has to be crochet. What I love is that it is so accessible to do on the go. Last year I would bring my yarn and hooks into class and crochet while listening to lessons or in my study breaks. It was so easy to just throw a ball of yarn in my bag and bring it to school, and you really don’t need too many materials to make something cool!

What was the longest project you worked on?
So this is actually a project of my own design, it’s a Marilyn Monroe tapestry piece, but specifically the Andy Warhol pop art version. It was supposed to be a tote bag but ended up being about two times larger than I intended (whoops). The project took about 3 weeks to finish and by the end I was far too tired to weave in all the ends. However it should make an appearance on my Instagram soon.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
@jadrian on Instagram has a really awesome no-sew frog pattern, it’s super unique and works up in 20 minutes or less! If I want to crochet something just to get a little dose of joy I find myself turning to that pattern.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I resent you calling me out like this :sweat_smile: I just finished a lovely pattern test for a shoulder bag today and am currently working on another bag pattern, except this one is a tote size. There’s a pile of 3 or 4 projects in the corner of my room that I need to finish before I start a new project, but to be honest there’s abandoned projects floating around all over the place.

We hear ya! :wink:
Which of your makes are you most proud of?
A make that I am proud of is definitely any of my frog and mushroom trinket containers. The pattern is by my friend @crochetbucket on instagram and I’m making it a tradition to make a seasonal version every time there’s a different holiday or event happening. The one I’ve included a picture of is the gingerbread version for the holiday season last year!

As far as a pattern that I am proud of, I think it has to be Drog the frog. When I was first offered the collaboration with Ribblr earlier this year I spent weeks trying and failing to come up with a design I was happy with. Drog the frog was a design that was slightly inspired by one of my best friends, she once had a frog plush of some kind sitting in her school blazer pocket and I always thought about how friendly the frog looked. It inspired me to make a frog that had long arms and legs, so it could look like it was sitting on a shelf if that makes sense. The wavy arms were a random idea I got out of the blue and knew that was the perfect way to tie the design together.

What is your usual process of designing?
Normally I just open up my sketchbook and see what happens. It doesn’t work a lot of times but often I will go in with an animal in mind and just keep drawing it in different ways. When I’ve got a concept I’ll usually just jump right into making and see how I go.

And what inspires you to create & design?
My designs are always rooted in some kind of happy memory or experience. Almost always these inspirations are only noticeable to me, but that’s what makes them special.

As well as this, I am a queer creator, and I owe a lot to my fellow BIPOC & LGBTQIA+ friends and artists. I will always be inspired and motivated by these creators who have not only brought such vibrant artistry, but also an undying drive to demand a future that allows us to live as freely as possible. For that I will never stop using my art or my platform to advocate alongside them.

That’s awesome! And now for some pop culture - :open_book:
Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?

Margaret Atwood is definitely my favourite author in the world, but I do realize that her books are not always something you read if you’re looking for a relaxing time. However, The School For Good And Evil by Soman Chainani is an amazing series for any age that is able to combine fantasy with real world dilemmas and questions.

Care to share a funny story that happened to your recently?
Today I spent a good 15 minutes walking around the house trying to find my cat Riddick. I checked under the beds, behind the printer, in all the cupboards: nothing. I was worried he had gone outside, it was raining really heavily and just wanted him to keep warm in the house. Went to open the adjoining french doors in my room to the sunroom and I heard an unimpressed miaow. He has been lying between the curtains the whole time.

That’s hilarious! :joy_cat:
What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
You can’t make me choose just one?! In all honesty I think it’s tracking feature on patterns. It’s super convenient and saves me a lot of brain power!

Lastly - pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
@craftinginglory makes beautiful and unique patterns that are complex yet easy to follow with her instructions. I’m planning on getting her whale shark pattern once I make a dent in the WIP pile.

Thank you so much for sharing! :purple_heart:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out Fibres_of_whimsy shop now​:point_down:

21 Likes

Congratulations!!

4 Likes

go tash!!! :star_struck: such an amazing and talented individual :heart:

5 Likes

Yess Tash!! you go girl :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes