Searching patterns

Thanks for sharing and for the kind words! :slight_smile:

You are totally right. In reality, this is why categorization is almost always broken and leads to many “unknown” or “null” scenarios.

We’d love to explain a little more on our approach for browsing and discovering patterns experience-

Say you want to knit a sweater for your dog. With categorization you’ll have to figure out your path. For example, you’ll click ‘clothing’ then ‘sweaters’ then ‘animals sweaters’ then ‘pets sweaters’ then ‘dogs sweaters’. Assuming this was categorized correctly, this is the point where you can start browsing.

Instead, we index patterns by scanning hundreds of unique data points, and designers don’t need to do anything.
You just search for ‘dog sweater’ and there you have it. You also have some main filters on the left hand side and ‘sort by’ just to quickly filter out craft types, patterns that aren’t on sale etc.

On top of that, we are also proud to present discoverability features including your discover page, which you can access from your personalized homepage. (and more to come!)

Now, with all the above in mind, please know that your patterns library is slightly different and the search functionality is limited there compared to our advance search. This is because we want things to be fast, but we also understand it comes at a price, especially for those with large libraries. We are working on it, and we take all the feedback we get here into account!

Thanks again for your input and we hope the information above is insightful!

3 Likes

Hello @GotenkslovesmeCraft
Yes, but it only works for me if I leave off the “@” symbol in front. I just did a search in my patterns for @HSCDesigns … results were zero, then I searched for just HSCDesigns and they all came up!

Hope that works for you.

I find searching by pattern title is less effective due to the amazing creativity of designers who, of course, extend their creativity to the name of the pattern.

God Bless,
GG

3 Likes