Seeking advice about a commission

Hello all! I’m looking for advice on something. Someone is wanting to commission an oversized merino blanket from me.

While I certainly have experience pricing items and making blankets, I’m falling a little bit short on this one. I already know to calculate cost of material and to count my hours in and everything, but, here’s my question:

I have dyscalculia so I have difficulty estimating time periods and calculating money and all that, especially if it’s a long term thing. How do I know how much time such a project will take me so I know what to quote my customer? I usually take half up front and the rest upon completion. I estimate such a project will take me at least 2 months depending on how often I work on it, but that’s not 2 months of constant work… know what I mean?

Those who have had such large projects commissioned, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance <3

8 Likes

I wish I knew but I’m sure someone will know

3 Likes

I’ve been looking online to see what usual prices people put on it :sweat_smile: but the size the person wants is like really particular so it’s hard to compare

3 Likes

For queen size ive charged 600, but ive seen twin graphgans for over 1k depending on difficulty. Its really up to complexity and materials. Time is pretty hard to charge for, since blankets can change depending on focus and speed.

5 Likes

The design will remain fairly simple. It’s just a regular afghan with different colors stripes or something like that I’m making, nothing too crazy. About same size as a queen.

Thanks for your input :heart: this was really helpful.

4 Likes

I have this stitch counter app that also has a timer, you can start it, then stop it wjen u stop, so that yk how long it takes you. <3

Screenshot_20230625_154624_One UI Home

3 Likes

Like at least 50 hours, stitch type or if they want a design in it will make it longer.

5 Likes

They pretty much said they’re ok with keeping it simple. And now that I’ve quoted them they’ve gone real silent… :sweat_smile::rofl:

4 Likes

That’s pretty normal, they think well Walmarts 20$ so I’ll pay 40 that’s okay. Then you tell them how much materials cost and how many hours it’ll take and suddenly “:no_mouth:

4 Likes

Yeah… even materials will be more expensive than $40 :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve seen way too many people get nervous about not making a sale or it’s a friend so they quote too low and it doesn’t even cover materials. :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I saw this forever ago, and I thought it was decent… read to the end though because she does blankets different than everything else and it’s the one that I liked the most

3 Likes

Looks like I was about in the right spot for what I ended up quoting him with that method. That’s good tho I love that, thanks!

3 Likes

I made a graphigan throw size that took me
About two months and I’m
Asking $150.00 for it. Now calculating the amount of hours I would see if you can maybe set a timer and document time. I realize your looking for assistance on how much time to quote for. I’m wondering if 2-3 hrs per day is to little or too much time ?
I noticed you mentioned the customer went silent after quoting. Which is hard because that happened to me as well once. I don’t feel people grasp how much supplies cost nor how much time we all spend making items.
I had a friend mention to me how expensive a sweater she found was but changed her tune once I explained how much supplies actually are. Yarn no longer is decent costs not sure how much it’s gone up where you are in Canada but on most of the ones I grab it’s a 2-3 dollar hike. :persevere:

2 Likes