Show Your Stripes!

February 28th (29th on leap years) is rare disease day to raise awareness for the over 6000 diseases that have fewer than 200k cases… Although each disease is considered rare, there are over 300 million people in the world that suffer from a rare disease!
The zebra is a common symbol for these diseases as doctors and medical students are taught “when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not the rare zebra” this is to tell them to look for the common possibilities, instead of rare conditions… Unfortunately, this can cause a huge delay in diagnosis…
So I’m here, bringing awareness… Feel free to share your zebra projects (especially in the green, pink, and blue mix as those are the colors for today)… If you have a rare disease and want to share, please do! You can share as little or as much as you want :black_heart:

11 Likes

I have a tester right now that has this, so that makes 2 in a week that I"ve met!

4 Likes

I have a plethora of conditions (I’m sure it’s the same for your tester, as comorbidities are common with EDS), this is the only rare one… And I actually know a few fiber crafters with EDS…

3 Likes

it isn’t a disease per se, but it is rare… I have a life-threatening allergy to bleach. It was not really a problem till I moved back down south, because for some reason they LOVE the stuff.

4 Likes

Oof! I’ve ran across a few others with that in the cloth diaper groups as it is a common suggestion to strip (using something like rlr) then sanitize (and only bleach is recommended) if you get used cloth diapers… And although I don’t have the allergy myself, it irks me when people reply in a way that clearly shows they don’t understand (or maybe don’t care) that “deathly allergic” means they can in NO way use it to sanitize the diapers

2 Likes

my favorite was when I would go to work (where it was not to be used) and I start to have a reaction and the response was “oh, I thought it would be ok, I sprayed (air freshener which I’m also allergic to) and didn’t smell it anymore”
that is not how allergies work
And unfortunately nobody understands how bleach works either. It should be banned in the US like it is in other countries. Bleach has zero surfactants, it only kills (good bacteria, algae, fish and wildlife, plants, the ecosystem needed for septic tanks) and it’s flammable, combustible, corrosive, a known carcinogenic, and is deadly to use around asthmatics.

3 Likes

I had gotten away from using bleach when my oldest was little… I much prefer using vinegar to sanitize :woman_shrugging:t3:
I honestly don’t know why bleach is considered the standard :woman_facepalming:t3: it’s so bad for everyone, not just those allergic

(ETA: not that I used it much before, I always hated the smell and the need for gloves)

2 Likes

i know abt 2 on here @LDSVenus @Islaways_crochets

4 Likes