Neverending Sock-along! MAL thread.

I actually do still have the socks! It took me so long to make them I couldn’t bear to get rid of them hahaha! And that’s awesome, I do want to learn to mend things cause I feel like that’s a very old fashion thing to do and I love that! The socks are worn through on the balls of the feet, any tips are welcome :slight_smile:
I’m planning on making a pattern I found on Ravelry, it’s called magic toadstool socks. I’m planning on doing Mario colors cause who doesn’t need a handmade pair of Mario toadstool socks haha.
I love the pattern you’re doing, it looks complicated!

5 Likes

I don’t know how to crochet but I can see that being a lot easier to mend things with crochet!

3 Likes

You can use Swiss Darning, basically duplicate stitch, to invisibly fix your socks if you still have a bit of the yarn or you can use yarn of the same weight, but a different colour. There are also many other ways to fix the hole, if desired.

This is an excellent video that explains it very well if you’re curious about the technique. :blush:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the video! I’ll check it out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For knitted socks I like to tack a square round the hole, pick up the bottom stitches then knit a patch picking up the side and top stitches as you go. That’s fastest.

Been using my new speedweve to patch up shop bought socks lately too, here are some pics…

7 Likes

Here are some recent socks I knitted too… mostly test knits, the penguin one is great but I struggled with sizing for my feet so that’s remaining a one sock wonder and I’ll do a proper pair for hubby for Xmas

9 Likes

I seriously love the penguin sock, it’s so cute but so much colourwork >.< can’t wait to see a finished pair of them.
I know I said it to you earlier but I really want one of those speedweve things, I’ve been seeing them around a lot and they look like they make repairing things soooo much easier.

3 Likes

that is the coolest knitting tool that i have ever seen in my life. were is it from

4 Likes

It’s offical after 3-4 restarts i’m almost at the heel turn…wooooooo yes

5 Likes

I haven’t had much knitting time but I got the cuffs of my socks done. Now I need to add the second colour and start the pattern. :blush:

8 Likes

I finally picked my pigeon socks back up and finished the leg on the first sock, next up is the heel!

@Lakeviewknitter Ooo I love that colour, can’t wait to see what the next colour will be and see it grow! I wish I liked using circulars for socks specifically so I could do two at once and having it attached.

8 Likes

@JZsketch that yarn works perfectly with the pattern. :grinning: What kind of heel does the pattern call for?
I have to use circular needles or I’d probably never finish the second one! Actually, I’m lying, the main reason I don’t use dpns is because when I tried, it was like trying to knit with an octopus and if I wasn’t getting poked I was dropping needles and picking up stitches all the time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Pfft I know exactly what you mean xD for me if I get that tired I put whatever craft I’m doing down otherwise there’s a much higher risk of making mistakes. The pattern says ‘modified eye of partridge heel’, it’s the Hermione’s Everyday Sock pattern.

3 Likes

I started this pair of socks at the beginning of the year. Currently about halfway through the foot of the second sock! Aiming to finish by the end of December :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Wow! That’s so cool and I love the little patch! What is that weaving tool? I don’t know how often I would use it but it looks amazing!

5 Likes

They look awesome already! :grinning:

4 Likes

How could I not join when you say “1 sock is acceptable” lol I only ever seem to get through one. But I did just buy some 9 inch needles so maybe that’ll make it go faster. I look forward to watching everyones posts!

5 Likes

In case Jaq isn’t able to get on here for a while I can answer for her and she’ll correct me if I get something wrong (we’re friends). She’s using a ‘Speedweve’, you can get them with different numbers of hooks, the more hooks the wider the patch you can make. They’re fairly affordable from what I’ve seen via Amazon and Ebay, at least here in the UK. I plan on getting one soon, it’ll really make repairing things easier but also adding fun patches to things, I saw some tutorials for making flags and fun patterns with them.

5 Likes

As someone who wears odd socks, I see no issue with never completing a pair XD

4 Likes

They’re called speedweve. They used to be made many years ago but not for probably fifty years? You can get vintage ones online or reproductions, some good quality and some not so much. They’re quite expensive but it’s worth getting the ones that cost more as the others don’t really work so well. Have been loving it. Gonna try some shapes next I think

6 Likes