(solved) Why are my cardigan sleeves bulky?

Hi! I just finished the Midnight Cardigan by forthefrills and the underarms feel very bulky and awkward. I did use 8ply yarn rather than 10ply because I couldn’t find any 10ply, and maybe I didn’t modify the pattern correctly? Would love some advice on this - I am a fairly intermediate crocheter.

4 Likes

Without a photo of the underarm,the sweater front and back flat and possibly you wearing it there is no possible way to answer your question

4 Likes

Okie dokie, I have added them :blush:

3 Likes

ok, couple of things I see
it looks like the sleeves might be a little tight in combination with where the arm scythe and shoulder seam sits
but I think the biggest problem is your finishing in the armhole. It looks like you sewed them together with a blanket or whip stitch instead of a flat mattress stitch

4 Likes

Okay, so the arm scythe needs to be a bit bigger and I need to use a mattress stitch to sew them together? The pattern said to use a whip stitch but I will look up how to do a mattress stitch and try that.

3 Likes

the arm scythe might be fine, I have chunky arms, and sloped shoulders, so I notice those things
but yes, I think the whip stitch is your problem. You should never whip stitch wearables

4 Likes

I know it says knitting, but it’s fairly the same

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help :blush:

4 Likes