Spotlight: Nerd Shop

One of my favorite shop finds on Ribblr (& pre-ribblr tbh, such a legend)

Hanis Crochet!

This stuff is so cute and fiber artsy, yet detailed enough that it really captures the games/etc.

14 Likes

This is the stuff my daughter makes, but I can’t convince her to join ribblr since she already has a thriving shop elsewhere

9 Likes

Oh wow, how have I not seen them before! It’s all so cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks for sharing them! :grinning:

8 Likes

Ooo what does your daughter sell? Makes, patterns or both

5 Likes

mostly custom commission work, but I recognize a lot of those characters, along with My Little Pony, and I think she’s done a half dozen complete group of Gorillaz, and the entire cast of of the Mario and Sonic games

7 Likes

Just like me, she got burned on ravelry and has no interest in entering another crafting social platform in any way

7 Likes

ooo ok! will definitely check out!

6 Likes

Yeah, during the last US election, I heard rumors that it was getting ugly on Ravelry.

5 Likes

it was ugly long before that, I left R about 12 years ago

6 Likes

I see…

4 Likes

I was very hesitant on joining, but I also sew and ribblr has the app tools that normally you would have to port your patterns to and pay a subscription fee. Ribblr put it all in one place

5 Likes

Did they get ugly because they were in competition with each other? Or whoever owns a Ravelry getting greedy?
Just wondering, you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.

3 Likes

it was full of cliques and had some sort of algorithm that put more “popular” accounts higher than less popular ones, so someone could flat out copy your pattern and their copy would show up first. If you complained about anything, you were a troublemaker, if you spoke up when someone gave bad advice, you were publicly called out. The message boards were full of so much vitriol over everything you couldn’t just have a conversation about knitting.
If someone decided they didn’t like you , they would copy your pattern and release it for free under their name just to tank you. It was just awful.

4 Likes

That sounds awful, just awful! I haven’t bought a pattern from Ravelry in a few years, downloaded some free ones as part of a blog hop though.

2 Likes

I don’t care if it’s the exact perfect match to what I was looking for and they would pay me to use it, I’ll still avoid R

3 Likes

I can understand your avoidance.

2 Likes

@anon5108995 @anoswaldoddity @ArtsAndNaps I love to see you guys connecting and having interesting conversations :star_struck: it seems this topic deviated quite a ways from the original post. :thinking: Next time, let’s start a side group chat so we don’t (totally accidentally and innocently) take away from the original content or distract from the awesome person in the spotlight! Thanks guys. :grin:

2 Likes

Sorry about that lol :sweat_smile: lemme clear it up a bit

3 Likes

No worries! I love that y’all got to connect over it! Such a cool part of Ribblr :raised_hands:

3 Likes