Stanwood Yarn Winder

I got a Stanford yarn winder for Christmas, I had just bought the yarn winder “ Loops and Threads” from Michaels. Loops and Threads Winder retailed at $35. Stanwood listed at $50 on Amazon,

Loops and threads experience- the grip on the winder handle fell off the first day using it. As I continued to use it, the winder would travel despite all efforts to tighten the clamp without damaging the table it was clamped to. The housing is on the pretty thin side. Can only make cakes under one hundred yards. Attempts to add more yardage resulted in the yarn jumping off the cake, getting tangled, or stuck under the cake. It rattles and the winder moves interfering with a smooth winding experience. The “mouth” where you insert the yard end is not deep enough and too wide.

Stanwood Winder experience- plastic housing is significantly thicker. Has a tension rod. Can tighten beyond adequate and uses a wing nut to tighten clamp. The yarn spoke also spins on its own axis as you’re winding the yarn making for a tighter cake. The one I bought can wind 200 yards worsted weight easily. Company has been around, has its own website and sells extra parts. The gears are completely shrouded so yarn can’t get caught in gears. The mouth that holds the yarnbend is deep enough and not too wide. It does make noise but less so than the other winder.
Since I received it I have turned almost 20,000 yards of yarn into cakes with this winder without a hitch.

24 Likes

Thanks for the review! Paying out sounds worth it :slight_smile: I’ll keep it in mind for the future :heart:

8 Likes

Love it. Mine works pretty well too! I’ve made cakes of 300 yards armed with some patience but I probably shouldn’t go that big :rofl:

6 Likes

I think it’s definitely worth the investment. Great gift!. Although mine has the open gears.

6 Likes

sounds like stanwood is good quality! i cake my yarn using an empty yoilet paper roll​:joy:
and i do it by hand

7 Likes

By hand? Great idea for smaller balls. Hmmm :thinking:

6 Likes

Wow! Never heard of that!!

3 Likes

Thank you for this info! I want to invest in one eventually. Right now I cake my yarn by hand.

2 Likes

do you use a empty toilet paper roll?:joy:
@Lefthandstitches

2 Likes

Yours appears to be the one for 10 oz or more.

2 Likes

I use my hands since everyone in my fam is Navajo or Indian lol
Sad Cat GIF by Mochimochiland

2 Likes

Love that knitted cat series!

2 Likes

intresting…

3 Likes