Tester grading

First, I probably shouldn’t suggest this with a pattern getting tested. This has nothing to do with my current testers.

Is there a way we can grade testers, for lack of a better word.
My thought is, if the testers don’t finish the testing, maybe it is something we should all know. Or, better yet. If they are over the top great.

Just a thought.

9 Likes

I think that’s really useful. How would you go about it?

4 Likes

That’s a great question. I love using people who’ve never tested before. And people new to Ribblr. So this wouldn’t apply to them. If we use refferals, that might work. But you could just not tell me about the one you didn’t finish …

Maybe you could add tester awards on their profile. Still would only give us the good ones, but that might help.

Maybe you could make a “sign up sheet” of sorts that we could add our names to to be testers. It could include a promise to finish. Really is the biggest issue to me. Communication is next. Or adding journals. Then we could do a poll like vote or google review next to the names. give them 5 stars for the most helpful. Or 3, one for each issue listed.

Then, new testers could be sent to that list to “agree”. Might work. I would hate to lose testers, but not getting the test is a loss in itself.

6 Likes

Hi
If I am allow to vote right now I am giving HookedOnCotton a :100: :100:
I think the idea of giving a tester award is great idea, this gives enough information to other people to see if they want to offer a pattern to a particular crocheter.
I hope this helps.

6 Likes

I’m not a designer but I’ve successfully completed 40 test knits on various sites including 2 on Ribblr and it would also be nice if testers could rate designers and leave a review. I’ve worked with so many amazing designers over all my tests (and one horrible one that was so rude I actually had to tell her if she emailed me again it would go straight to my spam folder! :roll_eyes:) I worked with one designer here so far and she was so incredibly helpful I would love to give her a review! :grinning: I noticed that the other testers never finished the test knits or made journals. I love helping designers by test knitting but it’s easy to overcommit to too many tests and then you can’t finish them, which doesn’t help the designers at all.

I’ve also come across other testers that get the pattern and are never heard from again. One designer offered a skein of yarn to use for the test and I was the only one that she ever heard from. The other 2 got a skein of yarn and the pattern! :flushed: I consider that stealing!

One solution for new testers could be releasing the pattern in four or five instalments; when done the first part, you get the next instalment, and so on. Then, as they successfully complete tests, including journals, and any other requirements the ratings system will be available for future designers to look at to help choose testers.

4 Likes

How would you do that here on ribblr though?

I’ve had that experience myself. Not here.

Not sure how that would work. I’d think you could give a shoutout to them here in the community and say how great they are. Like Maria @LetoDolls, :partying_face: She’s the best!

But, I don’t think it would be appropriate in the community if it was bad.

I guess I could comment on the testing post, and thank the good ones (and ignore the rest). Ow. Gotta be a way, I’d think. I hope.

5 Likes

I’ve only test knit so I don’t have any answers for the design end of things. Sorry. Email the parts? There’s got to be a way to help designers get reliable testers. Somehow. It must be so frustrating for you!

I’m not sure either. Even just 5 stars for rating a designer, something beyond the thumbs up available now when you look at a pattern. :blush:

5 Likes

Yes, I would like to be able to comment on a pattern :thinking:

5 Likes

I love all these great ideas!! I think this type of system would have a lot of potential and could be fantastic

5 Likes

If you all haven’t noticed, Maria @Letodolls and I have been having a lot of fun testing dolls. I’m on my 6th. Just wait until you see this one. :partying_face:

5 Likes

I agree, it is a lot of fun :wink:

6 Likes

Some great ideas here, we’ve got a few plans to help with further testing tools and we’ll be sure to get in touch with you. If you have more suggestions please do feel free to share them!

7 Likes

I’m not sure if I love this idea, I think it’s a bit harsh in my personal opinion. I think if you get enough testers and a few don’t end up finishing, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I just don’t really think there’s a place for rating someone’s testing abilities. It could also hurt their businesses (if they have stores). Plus, things come up all the time. I’m currently extremely grateful for my testers because I’VE been taking a long time finishing the pattern in the first place, due to health and personal issues. I don’t think that should prevent someone from signing up for testing as long as everyone is communicative. Everybody’s cool and no one seems to have a problem, (correct me if I’m wrong) but I think that’s the type of environment we work to foster on this app. I just see this as a negative.

I mean this with kindness—I just don’t think it’s a good idea and I haven’t seen that opinion represented.

6 Likes

I do think tester AWARDS are a fantastic idea

5 Likes

I thought I said this.

5 Likes

Not trying to be combative in any way shape or form… but I’m perplexed at why you responded to 3 words (a rather small detail) of what I said. You asked a question, I didn’t realize we weren’t allowed to disagree :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

I’m sorry. I hearted your comments. In a busy world, I think that’s a good thing. I agree with your comments. I don’t want it to be bad. I want to encourage new testers. If you read back, I did say that. I said repeatedly, or tried to, say the same that you did. Specifically, finish the test, communicate. I guess I can reread this whole thread and see what I was missing.

6 Likes

No worries! All good, on the same page :peace_symbol:

5 Likes