The Japanese Knitting stitch bible

For those of you who know, you know. The Japanese knitting stitch bible is an intense marvel to behold. The author states that she invites people to use her stitches in their projects as much as they want, has anyone seen any of the stitches applied to patterns yet? They’re all so beautiful but I have no idea how I’d incorporate them into a pattern

7 Likes

I’ve actually seen the book before but haven’t gotten it but I am interested in it :smile: I saw a YouTube video where a woman used the book and the patterns in there to knit her own wedding dress! The dress was so pretty and I loved the stitches! Since I’m not all too familiar of all the patterns in there I’m not entirely sure what to use them in but, blankets, garmets, hats, shawls, etc seem pretty good for them from what I’ve seen :laughing:

5 Likes

I think most of what is in there is too busy to be used as is. Maybe if you used lace weight yarn or thinner , you could make a sweater, or dress out of it. Most of it is not double sided, so wraps and scarves would always have a wrong side mess showing. Cowls would be bunched up and the work would be lost.
But if you took a section of the pattern and blew it up, you could make a motif or a panel to use in a sweater/top
Mostly when I look at the book patterns, I see the knitting version of crocheted doilies/tablecloths/bedspreads Intricate and pretty, taking a lot of time and focus, but not really practical

4 Likes

Interesting! I imagine it might work for paneled objects, or in the round since you don’t have to worry about wrong side conversion. Part of me thinks they were written on a knitting machine

3 Likes

knitting machines are not as fast or easy as people think they are. Think of using a loom or one of the addi things. Moving all those stitches and setting up pins are more complicated than just knitting by hand IMO
Like I said, complicated and tedious showing off, not a lot of practicality.
Despite what is in my shop, I actually don’t crochet very much, I mostly knit, and I love me some texture and cables. But this is just too much.

3 Likes

I agree on that, the machine is just as much work, but I don’t design much on my old machine (she’s just for stripes and stockinette). But following cables is easier when i only have to worry about the right side of a piece. All the patterns in the JKSB aren’t written out, it’s all grid patterns like the machine patterns are (hence why I say it might be designed on a machine). I think I wanna try putting something complex in a work though just for fun.

2 Likes

you should teach yourself to knit from left to right. Unless it is a huge piece, I never turn my work, I just change direction. , trying to keep a pattern on the back side in reverse was too much for me. Once I learned to go both directions, life got a lot easier

3 Likes

Now that there is a quality idea, I never thought of that before. Is it hard to learn?

2 Likes

not really, just start small. I think very pink knits has a video on it
I learned when I learned entrelac, in the book I had for it, it taught you to do it that way, then I started doing lace borders where you knit perpendicular to the border and pick up one stitch each row, if you don’t have to turn, you dont get your sweater all twisted up… then there was turning the heels on socks and it just went from there. cables and fairisle and short rows all so much easier when the front is always facing you…however I have been doing it for so long that it gets really hard to write patterns for other people …
golly, there are so few knitters active here, I forgot how much fun it is to talk about knitting!
I find myself saying all the time now, despite what my shop my suggest, I really don’t crochet much at all and never have

3 Likes

Ah interesting, I’ll give it a try. And same here! I love knitting more than crochet but found making patterns for crochet easier. I love being really free from with my knitting, cables and lace are my fave but I never really write down what I’m doing so a lot of it I’d have to read from the stitches itself after I’m done (and let’s face it who has A: time for that and B: patience to read and follow that nonsense)

2 Likes

I find writing knit patterns easier, but there is little interest in them, so I write the knitting version then I go back and translate it into crochet where the interest is
I should say, I find it easier to mimic knit with crochet than the other way around

3 Likes