Tight knit stitches

Hello!
So recently I have been knitting, but my stitches keep getting so tight I can’t even move them around
I haven’t been past 2rows and I’m desperate for help

Thank you!!

3 Likes

Are you a picker or a thrower?

I have crocheted for 50 plus years and have knit for 22 years. So I am a picker like I do with crochet. I hold my yarn in the left hand. Also I let it flow very freely.

3 Likes

A picker probs lol the only problem I have with doing it freely is that it’s hard to “pull it through” BC of how tight it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What stitch are you doing. I know for me the when I purl the next row is tighter.

2 Likes

Just the knit stitch

2 Likes

How many rows are you in? If not many it might help to start over with a looser cast on and be very mindful of your tension.

2 Likes

I just did that and it ended up right after 2 rows :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

It’s all about tension

2 Likes

Picker

3 Likes

What type of needles are you using? I know aluminum, metal, plastic have stitches glide more and wooden or bamboo needles can get pretty hard to move, however once I knitted with them in ac they glided nicely, it could also be because of tension

2 Likes

I use plastic ones :slight_smile:

Something that some people do is that they start the first row with a bigger set of needles, since the first row tends to get tighter than the rest–if you do that and it continues to be very tight, it might be an idea to just go up a needle size or two. I’m a naturally tight knitter, so I always go up 0.5-1.5 mm when I knit :slight_smile: Sometimes it has to do with the type of cast-on you do as well.

Thank you!!

1 Like