Tips for making or checking gauge

I have struggled with gauge forever. I was trying to find something to help my daughter and it helped me also. Check out this video.

11 Likes

Bookmarked!

3 Likes

Thank you, I bookmarked this also!

2 Likes

I am all for anything that actually teaches gauge. I am constantly disappointed at the amount of social media influencers out there that are not emphasizing the importance of gauge. It also does not help that UK terminology uses gauge and tension interchangeably or tension instead of gauge.

3 Likes

I’m saving this one, don’t know why tho! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yet another one in the bookmarks lol

2 Likes

I struggled with the height of the stitch. This will help me. No more struggles.

2 Likes

I seem to make sc shorter than most people so this gives me issues with amigurumi :rofl: mine always look squished

2 Likes

and mine is too tall. Do you think we can relearn for a certain project? hmmm :thinking:

2 Likes

This video was helpful but also, I have dyspraxia and dysgraphia so it’s really hard for me to adjust the height of one stitch and then keep it going evenly in the next rows cause I can’t possibly make it the same or even similar enough :rofl: (and no it’s not something that can be trained out)

2 Likes

Won’t help for testing, but if you’re making something you could add a row or two where if wouldn’t distort, like the repeat rows.

1 Like

For things that need to meet a specific size it’s ok but as a designer it makes it hard :rofl:

2 Likes

I think that how far your pull-up is will also be determined by the tension on the yarn. Try wrapping the yarn differently in your hand to provide less tension and see if that produces the longer stitch. I often have to change how my yarn is held in my hand for many reasons like some yarn is slippery or my skin is drier that day or my arthritis is flaring up. You wrap more or less fingers so there is more or less tension on the yarn and that effects how easily the yarn slides out when you pull up a loop and you don’t have to think about it because the tension is regulated instead of concentrating on how how much you are pulling on every stitch on every project. Same goes for knitting, the gauge is adjusted by more or less tension on the working yarn

1 Like

Very good, that’s what I do too. Tighter for amigurumi and looser fir everything else.

I have very low motor control over my left hand tho. Not something those who don’t have dysgraphia or dyspraxia can necessarily understand, but I do with what I can :stuck_out_tongue: I hold yarn the way my hand lets me.

1 Like

my son is profoundly dyslexic with two types of dysgraphia, I do get it, which is why I stated it the way I did.
The inconsistent or lack of fine motor skills is exactly why you need to change the way and how many times the yarn is wrapped in your hand for different gauges. It does not require extra mobility to wrap the yarn around your ring finger instead of just being held between your fingers, but it will alter your tension and it will be consistent because it is controlled in the wrap, not in your conscience mindfulness to squeeze or relax the same amount each time.

1 Like

I could spend ages to explain why I’m unable to wrap yarn around my fingers but it’s not gonna do much good at this point so I will simply remove myself from the conversation.

Interesting….

I once saw a person who crocheted using their only hand and their foot. Is it ideal? No, but it works.

there’s a woman in Poland that only has one arm and crochets lightening fast!

2 Likes