Today is Rare Disease Day and I made a plushie!

Hello! For everyone who doesn’t know, today is rare disease day. The zebra is the mascot for rare diseases because of the phrase “when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras”, meaning to search for a more common illness before expecting it to be rare. Some people though, end up having rare diseases and therefore are those “zebras”. I have 4 rare illnesses and I wanted to raise awareness so I made a super cute zebra using a pattern by @Charliseyscrochetcloset !

20 Likes

I love all of @Charliseyscrochetcloset patterns! I was going to get her axolotyl pattern on flash Thursday but the deal sold out 🥲 I hope she can get her service dog soon!

3 Likes

Omg! I just checked and all of her patterns are on sale!!! I’m going to buy so many patterns today!!!

4 Likes

I wish I could buy her patterns but I’ve already bought practically all of them lol

5 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to buy a single one yet, because I’ve been waiting for a sale! I want to buy several patterns

3 Likes

@Charliseyscrochetcloset patterns are adorbs! I have multiple I love supporting her! Even if she wasn’t sick I would still love her! I hope she gets her dog soon!

5 Likes

Yes!! @Charliseyscrochetcloset is amazing and I love all her patterns! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

People with EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) use the Zebra. Something I deal with, tho mine is less severe than some of my family and friends that also have this. For me it just means a longer heal time when connective tissue (tendons and ligaments) is involved in an injury.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to ask but what is EDS?

3 Likes

It’s a connective tissue disorder, ligaments and tendons and even muscle that hold joints together. With people who’s muscles are involved, it can mean heart problems, fortunately I do not have that. The connective tissue tends to be too lose and less elastic, depending on how severe you have it, it’s passed on through genetics. If someone in your family has it, you can pass the gene on. A couple of years ago I fell on my knees and it super stretched the ligaments around one of my knees, I couldn’t walk without a knee brace for about 9 months because it wasn’t holding the joint in place and my knee would give out on me, was very painful, thankfully it healed, it just heals more slowly than those with normal connective tissue.

4 Likes

Thank you for explaining :blush: that sounds painful! I’m sorry you have to deal with that.

3 Likes

From one zebra to another, I think this is the perfect project for today! Somehow RDAD wasn’t on my radar this year, your post made me so happy to see!

5 Likes

I have EDS too! :white_heart: :black_heart: :white_heart: :black_heart:

4 Likes

Btw I’m sorry you have to go through it too:(( eds sucks

4 Likes

@Islaways_crochets we are just use to it tho, aren’t we ;). I didn’t know I had it until my sister was diagnosed with it, hers is worse than mine and so is my son’s. But we adjust and deal with those things we are dealt, and we have blessings in other areas :).

6 Likes