Too many testers for a crochet pattern?

I posted a tester call this morning…now I’m getting, like, 15 testers who are applying, and I have no doubt that more will come. 10 have been accepted so far. This might sound silly, but I feel like this is getting a bit out of hand. :sweat_smile: Can you ever have too many testers?

18 Likes

i have too little

4 Likes

Speaking from personal experience, it can get overwhelming quickly.

For me, on my free patterns I will accept all that apply to test. And I’ve had a couple these patterns reach as high as 42 testers (my most recent I had 36?) And there comes a different level of feedback that you get on your pattern. It can get a little redundant, not all testers keep up with the chat so you can end up repeating yourself a lot and you have to keep up with the chat more.

But I personally view my free pattern as an opportunity for some who want to tryout being a tester and maybe just hasn’t got the chance yet. But it also beneficial for me because I get to see how testers that I haven’t had test for me yet.

But honestly if you don’t want to do this (and I would never say to), you don’t have to accept everyone that applies. Testing is a lot of work for both the tester and the designer and you will eventually find those are just really good testers for you.

Sorry if that was too rambley… :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Oh my goodness…so maybe I should just accept 10? It’s just I think that not everyone may finish the test in time.

5 Likes

My go to number 10-12 for paid patterns. My method is the leave the tester call open for at least 24hrs, then I will start to go through all the applications and find those whose previous work (makes) look like they have the skills for my pattern.

I find that I will most times lose 1-2 testers because they ghosted me, can’t finish on time (and I don’t offer extensions), or are unable to fulfill all of my requirements.

6 Likes

I think you’re right. I said the tester call closes on Sunday, 21st April. But now, I might have to cut short the call.

4 Likes

Yes, if you feel like you’re being overwhelmed with applications, it is a’okay to close it earlier (at least that’s how I feel about it)

6 Likes

I did mine and had 5-6 first day and then 10 more the second day and still yet some stragglers on the following couple of days. After the first few legitimate testers gave me feedback I felt like I had enough to perfect my pattern.

So I called my testing to an end early and several posters got mad at me that they didn’t get a chance to try it.

Oh well, you snooze you lose. As a possible improvement it would be nice to be able to set how many testers you want.

2 Likes

You can set how many testers want, it based on how many you approve. When some one applies to your test you are not required to approve them, I will generally say how many testers I will pick in my testing calls and will get more applications than how many I will actually select. I approve the testers I want and reject the additional applications (although I never have good time hitting the reject button)

When you approve of testers it’s generally implied that they will have the full amount of time that you set as a deadline to complete the project.

3 Likes

I usually choose all the tester(depending on the amount) cuz I feel bad to not choose them.

2 Likes

If it is a paid pattern do not accept all testers becasue otherwise you will lose out on sales. Unless you only have 1 or 2 apply that is differnet. I usually accept 5 but thats just personal preference:))

3 Likes

No, this is a free pattern. Like I said, I can’t guarantee that everyone’s gonna finish the pattern in time.

2 Likes

Maybe accept a max of 10 because otherwise you might miss messages in the gc. Lots of the time people just say thanks for accepting me so the chat can get clogged ip quickly.
Thats just my advice, take it or leave it

2 Likes

Before I apply I will check to see how many have applied. If there quite a lot I won’t appear. If there is only a few I will to help the person get enough. I think more people ought to try the same thing. That is what we are supposed to be doing here. Support each other!:grin::heart:

4 Likes