UK yarn vs US yarn? Must have buys help please

Hi all, I live in the UK but about to take a trip to USA and I was wondering what yarns should I be buying when on my holiday, something not available in the UK maybe? Planning to go with empty suitcase :wink:

Thank you :blush:

10 Likes

Oh boy. Thereā€™s a lit if different big box store ones.
Def have a look at Hobby Lobby, Joanns and Michaels.

As for cotton and Acrylic, I really like the ā€˜I live this yarn / cottonā€™ brand at Hobby Lobby.

Thereā€™s also a lot of little yarn shops around with yarns from Indie dyers.
Maybe post the area you are going to and someone can hook you up with some local gems!

9 Likes

If you can get to a Hobby Lobby store, I am a fan of their yarn, especially the YarnBee Secret Soft. I also like Caron Simply Soft yarn, which can be found at JoAnn Fabrics &,Micheals, These are both soft acryllic yarns weight 4. They have a lovely sheen and are pleasant to the touch if you are making a garment or afghan. It is a soft flowy yarn, not stiff, not scratchy. Enjoy your trip, I hope you go back with a suitcase full of lovely yarn.

8 Likes

I donā€™t have great answers, but can add to the above mentioned big box storesā€¦
Store specificā€¦
Hobby Lobby: I Love This line, Crafterā€™s Secret line, and Yarn Bee line
Michaels: Loops and Threads line and Craft Value line
Joann: Big Twist

A couple that can be found at multiple stores include Lion Brand, Caron, and Premier

The only line Iā€™ve listed that I have not used at all so far is Big Twistā€¦ But the rest I would recommend/use againā€¦ My favorite fingering weight (1) is Loops and Threads Woolike; my favorite dk weight (3) is Loops and Threads Joy DK or holding 2 strands of Woolike (loved yarn bee 44th Street, but just found out itā€™s discontinuedā€‹:sob:); my favorite worsted weight (4) is I Love This Yarn/Cotton, followed by Craft Value Economyā€¦

8 Likes

@OBabyNMore I would definitely recommend Big Twist! Their worsted acrylic yarn is a little softer than RHSS, so I love that! The blanket yarn, called ā€œcuddle yarnā€ is nice to work with! Super soft, polyester. And the cotton! Donā€™t get me started, I love it! Itā€™s a little softer than your typical cotton yarn, probably because it has a little bit of polyester added to it. :heart:

8 Likes

@NoKittenAroundStudio Good to knowā€¦ I honestly go to Michaels more often so I just havenā€™t had a chance or need to try itā€¦ Iā€™m sure I will eventuallyā€¦ I REALLY love Woolike, so I tend to grab Craft Value for worsted while Iā€™m grabbing the Woolike haha

7 Likes

I honestly donā€™t like Michaels, for no other reason than that of them not advertising yarn in their flyer. :sweat_smile:
I have to try Woolike sometime! Once I make myself go to Michaels :wink:

5 Likes

So Iā€™m severely allergic to wool (I made something with only 3%, didnā€™t know it had any, and my hands got so swollen and itchy)ā€¦ So Woolike is an amazing option for fingering weight (acrylic/nylon) blendā€¦ My only complaint is there is not as large of a color selection as Iā€™d like (13 total, 3 of which are ā€œwhiteā€) and I just realized that there are several discontinued colors :flushed: (Iā€™m happy about the fact that some of the gazillion pinks have been discontinued, but not glad about some of the others)ā€¦ Man today is just a day for disappointments on discontinued yarn :sob:

8 Likes

can you wear other natural fibers like alpaca and angora (rabbit and goat)?

6 Likes

Iā€™ve tried alpaca and itā€™s fine, havenā€™t tried the others yet, but want to

6 Likes

some people have problems with rabbit so try it gingerly, iā€™m not sure how allergic prone goat is, but both of those fibers are super soft!

6 Likes

Good to know, thanks

6 Likes

If youā€™re into chunky yarn definitely go to Joannā€™s or Michaels when they have Bernat Blanket or Bernat Velvet on sale, Big Twist Cuddles is another good one. I hear the cost of it in Europe is astronomical.
Stay away from Lion Brand Velux and Michaels Snuggles- sheds like crazy and too expensive.
Thatā€™s my two cents!!

7 Likes

Yes! I was definitely going to recommend michaels or Joannā€™s for bernat. I love all their blanket and velvet yarns. Landscapes by lion brand can also be very pretty and fun

6 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what states you are going to visit but Webs Yarns has so much yarn! Here is there address: 75 Service Center Rd, Northampton, MA 01060, United States. you can look them up on the internet to see if itā€™s anything you are interested in.

7 Likes

Thank you all so much! Iā€™m going to Chicago and Las Vegas and now I can start Googling yarn shops and their locations :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Another idea is to buy from a online website and have them mail it to address in USA and then take it home!

7 Likes

What did you end up doing @Lunatheladybird ?

4 Likes

uarn in the uk is so overpriced!

3 Likes

We didnā€™t find any local yarn shops, because we didnā€™t hire a car, and there was nothing in walking distance, I just have to be a big girl and get over my disappointment, had a great holiday tho :blush:

5 Likes