V-stitch or X-stitch

This question is for all amigurumi makers out there. Which stitch do you prefer to use V or X and why?

Personally I use the V stitch and have been ever since I started crocheting amigurumi, but now I want to hear some other perspectives. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

I like the V because it just a bit more natural to me

4 Likes

Ive always done the v and i tried the x but it wasnt natural. Also i personally like the look of the v better

3 Likes

I use the V stitch but just because it’s more natural for me

4 Likes

Same! I don’t know if it’s because my hand has been doing so many V stitches or if it’s just more ergonomic that the X one. :thinking:

1 Like

Same here, have you tried the X stitch?

1 Like

Same for me :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I use the X stitch. I did start off with the V. It took me a while to trick my brain into accepting the X stitch. I like the look of the X and just kept going with it. I think both look great, personally. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Depends on the yarn I’m issuing and the project I’m working on. For plush yarn with arigurumi, I use the X st because it makes my work tighter which defines the shape better. For amigurumi with a medium weight yarn(cotton, polyester, acrylic), I’ll use either x or v sts, again, it depends on how detailed it is. And for wearables I use the v st.
Basically if the shape needs more definition I use the Xst, if definition isn’t important, than I use the V st.

4 Likes

Happy the X stitch works for you :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your insight! I never thought about it like this. :smiley:

3 Likes

theres a difference?-

2 Likes

Yes, there is a difference, specially when using plush yarn . Try crocheting a small ball using regular v stitch then make another with x st using the same amount of stitches. You will find the ball with the x stitches turns out smaller and tighter looking, more defined.
Here is an example of something I just finished up in plush yarn using x st due to the detail.

4 Likes

I didn’t even know about the x-stitch. Seems neat though, I’ll try it out sometime.

3 Likes

It depends on the yarn :yarn: and what I’m making . Usually I like to do the v stitch but I do x for clothes , bags and some plushies

3 Likes

I just came to second this reply…

and to say how amazing your Aang looks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. The pattern was for acrylic so I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off in plush but it seemed to turn out alright.

4 Likes

I use the x, i started with v and then half half(yu,yo). Now i find the x easier and i like that it creates a more compact fabric. I also think that its easier to crochet it without looking and I do that alot

2 Likes

I used to use the V stitch, but my work was really loose and when i tried tightening my tension, It didn’t look like the other amigurumis i saw with their tight square uniform stitches. so i tried the Yarn under single crochet stitch and it gave me the results i was looking for. I like the x better because you get a more uniform and tighter stitches without holes for stuffing to come out of. I also feel they are the best when making toys for babies, the stuffing wont come out no matter how hard you tug, bite, gnaw, or pull. It also gives your products a more finished look that i don’t see in a lot of in where i’m from.

4 Likes