Variegated Yarn

I just found all the variegated yarn that I have and I love the colors I’m just not sure what projects to actually make with them. If you have made any or seen someone make a project you like with variegated yarn I’d love to hear about it to help me use up some of my stash.

7 Likes

a simple rule of thumb is to use variegated and busier yarn for simple projects or with simple stitches. it’s recommended to save the crazier patterns and stitches for solid yarn so the yarn choice doesn’t take away from what you make

7 Likes

If it’s cotton- make dishcloths in simple stitches.
If it’s bulky, make mittens (contact me for pattern I use)
If it’s acrylic or blend, make scarves or hats with simple stitches ( sc, Hdc, DC)
If you have more than 900 yards of some, make baby blankets with simple stitches. There’s a great one called “snow bunny blanket crochet pattern” that’s free and has various simple stitches that I enjoyed making.

4 Likes

depends on the yarn and taste, I think
I used to avoid such yarn, but when got it made a nice triangular shawl in granny stitch. the color sections were pretty long. to my mind long color sections are fantastic for mandala blankets. I have a stash of cakes which I plan (someday) to become blankets :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Another thing you can do is to double strand it with a nice complimentary yarn - using either one of the colors in the variegation, a neutral color or a color or texture so bold the variegation isn’t as visible, which is a crazy move but fun!

I like to do this with my bucket hats sometimes since it’s all worked in single crochet. This hat uses a weird retro white, cream and brown stripe but I put it with a textured brown yarn.

7 Likes

I love that! Such a great idea!

4 Likes

Variegated yarn is a lot of fun! I encourage you to experiment/explore or even look up the yarn you have or something similar to see what projects others have made with it for inspiration!

I had picked up this yarn on a whim once just because I thought it was so pretty, but I didn’t know what I wanted to do with it. I ended up looking up the yarn brand/colorway and seeing if anyone had made something with it and stumbled across this awesome pattern for it. Here was my result:

8 Likes

5 Likes

Thank you! It was a gift for a friend, so I was glad it came out decently well! ^.^

5 Likes

I love double stranding :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Me too! It’s fun to see how things work up. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

So last summer a huge trend was to make moss stitch blankets with variegated yarn… But the kicker was they would do one or two rows of one colorway, then switch, and they would do this with 10+ different variegated colorways…
Nice thing about this is moss stitch can be done in crochet or knit (although if knitting I would definitely recommend the 2 rows of each colorway)

4 Likes