Venting about key chain patterns

All these designers publishing key chain patterns and nobody tells you how to attach the crochet item to the key chain. Grr! Think there’s YouTube video on how to do this? I can’t find one.

In the same vein…

18 Likes

I am not that good at explaining that (that is why my own octo pattern doesn’t say it) but i found a youtube tutorial and i think it is helpful
Keychain

8 Likes

That link doesn’t workhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI–mWmF7TU

10 Likes

Well golly, thank you so much @DasChubba !!

9 Likes

ofc!
I Got You GIF by Pudgy Penguins

8 Likes

Nice video. I will remember to add it to my pattern. (someday).

9 Likes

Haven’t checked the video yet so idk if it’s the same or not but for my keychain I usually attach a jump ring going right through the center of the magic ring (usually magic ring on top of the head of amigurumi)

Couldn’t really find a better picture at the moment though

Or when I’m super sure I want something as a keychain/bag charm and I know the general shape (that way I know placement for the keychain part), then I’ll attach a keychain while working, like I would make the magic ring and then put the keychain around the magic ring, then continue with the next round working over the keychain part. It only worked with those flat keychains/clasps though, but it’s very sturdy, unless the whole amigurumi unravels or if the keychain part gets broken it’s like on there very securely

Don’t have any in progress picture but this is how it works look when done:

I can add a picture (if someone reminds me) of the clasps that I used later but at the moment someone is asleep in the room where I got my art supplies so can’t get it, plus I could probably quickly make a magic ring to show example

5 Likes

Thanks Kim! @WolfKvB

4 Likes

I used to deal with jump rings and such a lot when I made jewelry. Usually helps to have 2 pairs of pliars, one for each side of the ring to open it. Then, once it’s inserted in the stitches, after closing it up, I always add a dab of nail polish or something. It doesn’t prevent it from opening back up but it will limit the snagging. And then turn it so the split ends up inside the crocheted object!

6 Likes

Sounds like it will require more hands than I possess.

5 Likes

Sad Cartoon GIF by Alex The Astronaut

5 Likes

clap lol GIF

5 Likes

Oohh that’s super smart, I usually worry about even the tiniest gap that doesn’t wanna close when working with jump rings, so adding something extra sounds like a great idea

5 Likes

When I close the ring, I give a little squeeze on the side of the closure to squish it together first, it also helps!

5 Likes

I tried to squish the gap very small sometimes but ended up kinda make the the jump ring an oval shape oops or sometimes even breaking them (I’m not very good at estimating the needed pressure) but those are some nice tips I’ll use next time with jump rings thanks :purple_heart:

Also in case anyone was curious about the keychain thing I mentioned yesterday

This is the type of keychain that’s inside/attached to the orange fox thing I showed earlier,

just place the magic ring inside the gap and continue working (for example when you have a 6sc magic ring → have the keychain part at your last stitch and kinda just ignore it and work over it, work into the first 3 stitches (could be increases, could be something else, whatever you need) then make sure there’s the other one of the keychain sides, hold it against your last stitch and work over it to the next stitches and work in 3sc again

6 Likes

Yes!!! You answered my question! I actually have those exact key rings. The answer is work it into the magic ring.
Thanks Thank You GIF by Chippy the Dog

4 Likes