Video Tutorials or Written Patterns?

First of all, I LOVE the ePatterns because you can have the patterns in 1 uniform format with video tutorials right there so it is all in one place. This is a gamechanger for me as someone with Autism and Adhd. But it got me wondering, do you prefer video tutorials or traditional, written patterns?

15 Likes

neither, both are easy for me to follow :blush:

1 Like

I prefer written patterns as I can go at my own pace. Video tutorials usually go really slow with no captions with the pattern, so I avoid them.

4 Likes

I usually increase the playback speed for the parts that are too slow which helps

3 Likes

I like written patterns so that I can mark off each step as I go. When there’s a video pattern I want to make, I’ll actually write it out.

3 Likes

I have ADHD too, so it really depends on my moods and energy levels for the day. I mostly like written patterns because I don’t feel like I have to rush to keep up with the video or continually pause and play, which gives me anxiety for whatever reason lol. However, there are times where the video tutorial is better because it may be hard for me to understand a complicated written instruction, but if I see it done I can get it right away.

5 Likes

I’ve just started doing this as well! Especially if I find a video for a project I know I’m going to redo multiple times.

2 Likes

For patterns more my level, I prefer written ones bc I can go my own pace. For the harder ones, I like video tutorials so I can see what my work/stitches should look like at any point

1 Like

Same! If it is just easy, straightforward stitches then I like the written pattern to mark off rows as I go but if there is a new stitch or technique, I need to see how to do it in a video.

2 Likes

I like both, to be honest.
I’m a visual learner, I need to see how something is done to really understand how to do it.
Once I know, I can take that and apply it to written patterns.
So even if I come across a new stitch in a pattern, or say I need a reminder on things like the difference between a puff stitch and a bobble :sweat_smile: I reference videos.
Sometimes I’ve had to watch videos a few times to see where to place a stitch in a complicated pattern.
With written ones I have to kind of guess and see if it looks right, unless they have a photo on the placement :joy:

2 Likes

Yep Yes GIF by Rosanna Pansino

2 Likes

I usually like written patterns, I don’t really know why haha. But if a stitch is complicated, I might look up a video tutorial

1 Like

I prefer the written patterns :3

2 Likes