What are your tips for beginners?

12 Likes

Patience and practice were the biggest things for me, especially if you’re teaching yourself. When I was teaching myself how to knit I would get so frustrated if I didn’t get something right on the first attempt (which is an unrealistic goal!). I learned to take breaks frequently, like whenever I felt myself getting super frustrated. I would watch a lot of YouTube videos and pause them and practice for a little while before moving on to something else.

13 Likes

I love this post! I definitely need tips as a beginner crocheter.

Yes! I think taking breaks frequently is something really useful I haven’t actually thought about. I always just want to do more and more :sweat_smile:

Oh and welcome to Ribblr! @thecovecony

10 Likes

Be thoughtful on how you build your stash. I’ve purchased lots of random yarn over the years. Now I purchase a project sized quantity. If I want a souvenir ball of yarn to remind me of a trip, sock yarn is my favourite.

17 Likes

There is so much. Maybe a top 3?

1. Yarn selection and hook size really matter.
  2. Gauge swatches are very important in wearables.
  3. Take notes, hook size, yarn type, etc … You may want to make it again.
17 Likes

Don’t put pressure on yourself imagining you can make everyone all the things by next week. :joy:

13 Likes

So many amazing tips! These are definitely going to help beginners!

These are such great advices in general, not just for crafting! :clap:

10 Likes

I would say that hook and yarn size really do matter - when I was a beginner I would use the same hook for every type yarn :rofl: and don’t worry if it’s not looking how you want it, all that matters is that you enjoy the process and that you hopefully got relaxation out of it!

10 Likes

Don’t start too many projects, just begin one or two and finish them!

12 Likes

make sure you dont get to high hopes for your firest project do someting easy like a scarf and keep learning stiches and you wil get the hang of it

9 Likes

Don’t be afraid to start over…it is part of the creativity process.

Swatch, Swatch, Swatch :slight_smile:

12 Likes

:raised_hands:

Great tip!

That’s also very true :slight_smile:

Most definitely. :partying_face:

6 Likes

Its okay to be bad at something the first time you try it. The most important part of learning a new skill is, well, learning. Also, there is no right or wrong way to hold your yarn and hook. That comes with practice. :heart:

10 Likes

It’s okay and normal to make mistakes …it’s all learning, you can rip it out and start again if you need to. Never be scared to ask for help, even just being directed to the right video might make all the difference to you.

7 Likes

Try not to compare your crochet to others, as this is very discouraging when you first start. Instead, keep the first things that you crochet so that you can look back on them and see how far you have come :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Amazing advice! @Manysmallmangos

6 Likes

@IJmakes :raised_hands:

That’s a wonderful idea!

5 Likes

I wish I had kept the first thing I ever crocheted. I was 4, so it was a very sloppy rectangle my grandma would use as a coaster. I have no idea what happened to it over the years :confused:

9 Likes

Wow, 4! That’s amazing. I’ve only been crocheting 5yrs so I luckily have some of my first things. It would have been amazing to have what you made when you were starting.

6 Likes

I see too many people upset that they aren’t good enough but they only think that because they compare themselves to people with more experience. And I admit I did, and still sometimes do it too.

9 Likes