What is your favorite yarn material?

Do you have your own favorite material? Or maybe the one you can’t work with?
I personally don’t like working with wool (as well as I don’t really like wearing woolen clothes)
I prefer acrylic or cotton yarn, but not a long time ago found miknes (synthetic) yarn and I really like how soft it is!

4 Likes

I’m hooked on cotton. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Bernat Blanket Yarn makes me smile. Bernat Softee Chunky is nice. I wish I had a chunky cotton.

5 Likes

I actually love working with wool - or any natural fibre. I’ve never liked synthetics. I just finished the pattern for this Tunisian crochet wool pillow. What I love most about wool is how easy it is to block when working in Tunisian crochet.

4 Likes

When velvet yarns became popular I thought they were ao beautiful and soft. I bought some yarn and decided on a project. Then I got pregnant and actually developed an aversion to the feeling of the yarn in my fingers! I never finished the project and I don’t even like thinking about the feeling of the yarn even now two years later. I never expected that to happen!

5 Likes

I have found myself enjoying all types of fiber for different projects. For utility winter gear, I even enjoy a sturdy scratchy wool. I love the over the top softness of alpaca, but I love a decent acrylic if the project calls for it.

4 Likes

I’ve never been pregnant, but I understand the feeling you’re talking about! I can’t stand any velvet materials, especially with short hair (I don’t know how to say that, sorry)
I instantly cover with goosebumps as soon as I touch velvet

3 Likes

Sheep Wool or Alpaca. I do enjoy cotton and silk as well. Love natural fibers best.

4 Likes

I love knitting with wool and alpaca, most any natural fiber. Perhaps if you used a fine wool like merino that is soft you would like it better. Tho there’s always the possibility that you are allergic to wool. I enjoy spinning natural fibers into my own yarns and either blending the colors to spin or dying the yarn afterwards, that process is always a journey. And there’s just something about knitting with your own yarn!

I do use acrylics for items I knit that will require a lot of washing, ie: baby things, when I know a parent doesn’t have time or prefers not to have to hand wash it. Acrylics use to be harsh to knit with, but some of them now aren’t bad.

3 Likes