What is your favourite yarn for clothing and why?

Iā€™m looking for advice or suggestions, if possible.
I crochet and mostly make amigurumi atm but would like to make more clothing.
I have made a few items but wasnā€™t super happy with the fibre used and the end result.
Iā€™d really appreciate any yarn recommendations for clothing.
Iā€™m in the uk so cannot access all brands but if suggestions could include the fibre and yarn weight, that would be super helpful.
Tha ks in advanced for any suggestions :blush:

8 Likes

I rarely make crochet garments, but I will always have a soft spot for cotton sweaters.
My most favorite sweaters over my life so far have all been cotton, whether I made them or bought them.
I have a pair of socks I made from some bamboo yarn I was gifted. The socks are useless because they have too much drape,but it made me think that the bamboo would make a nice sweater. It has the feel of mercerised cotton but more drape.
And just for giggles, try making a lacy swatch from ordinary acrylic and instead of blocking itā€¦ Iron it out flat! Itā€™s magic!

6 Likes

What type of clothing? Like shirts, cardigans, sweaters, etc Iā€™ve used Coboo yarn to try and make a top, Iā€™m not far as I got busy with other crafts. Since itā€™s clothing itā€™s best to look for yarn thatā€™s machine washable (unless youā€™re able to hand wash or do what it asks) since youā€™ll more than likely need to wash it often, also make sure if possible to feel the yarn and make sure it wonā€™t irritate your skin after a while since youā€™ll wear it often (also look to see what itā€™s made of for instance acrylic, wool, cotton, a blend, etc since I believe some can irritate more than others) I prefer my tops light and my cardigans/sweaters to be a little thicker so finding a good yarn size is important as well :smile:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this helpful information.
Is there a particular yarn weight youā€™d recommend with the cotton?
Iā€™ve used a bamboo before and liked the feel of that but will need to see where I could get more and have colour choices.

5 Likes

The main things are sweaters and shorts that I want to make but any advice is welcome.
Iā€™ll have a look at the coboo yarn and see if I can source some near me.
My skin isnā€™t really sensitive at all so as long as its not generally scratchy I can wear anything in that sense.
Thanks for your help :blush:

4 Likes

Personally, I wouldnā€™t use anything larger than a sport weight if itā€™s crocheted. My largest gripe with crochet garments is that I canā€™t stop feeling like itā€™s just an afghan turned into a sweater.

6 Likes

So unfortunately this is slightly a personal preference thingā€¦ Most people hate acrylic for clothing, but being allergic to wool and on a super tight budget, I use quite a bit of acrylic (usually an acrylic/nylon blend)ā€¦ I canā€™t help you too much there though because my preferred brands are USā€¦ I agree with the above recommendations of cotton (especially a pima), bamboo, or a mixā€¦
As for weight, again itā€™s personal preferenceā€¦ I usually prefer fingering or dk, but have used worsted/aran and liked it tooā€¦ I usually like worsted for sweaters, but I do have a couple tank tops in worsted and like wearing them in spring or fallā€¦

6 Likes

I love acrylic!
Iā€™m going to let out a secretā€¦ I never, never, ever block or hand wash.
If I canā€™t throw it in the washer and dryer, I wonā€™t botherā€¦especially socks, I see people hand washing and blocking socks and I think ā€œWHY?! They go on feet!ā€
And really, you should try the ironing thing at least once. I made the most stunning ā€œluxuryā€ wrap once that nobody could guess was plain Red Heart Super Saver.

5 Likes

I always block acrylic, but only right after making it (steam block, I donā€™t like the feel of melted acrylic), then it goes straight into washer and dryer with no more blockingā€¦ It does ā€œpillā€ a little more that way, but I can make more when it wears out :wink:

3 Likes

melted? Ive only ever had it turn silky, not melt. The technique is called ā€œkillingā€ and itā€™s the same thing they do to the yarn to make doll wigsā€¦and now people wigs for cosplayā€¦ but it makes the fabric look and feel like it was made from a silk or rayon.
I spent far too much of my youth blocking doilies and lace edgings ā€¦I have no patience for it now.

4 Likes

I would also consider yarn thatā€™s anti-pilling another thing that might be easier is googling best yarn for [clothing] and get more results since I believe it would be more localized to you and perhaps get yarn brands in your area, at least I think thatā€™s how Google works lol

3 Likes

Google displays whoever pays most first so I donā€™t trust theyā€™ll show me best yarn or options over who paid them the most to sell to me.
I tend to try to ask these types of questions to people for honest feedback based on things theyā€™ve tried.
Thank you for your advice though, will def check for anti-pilling :blush:

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s true, I usually just ask the question on Google and look through multiple blogs and see what yarn they say, and then googling that specific yarn and the reviews for it, definitely good to always ask other people!

4 Likes

Unfortunately due to health problems I canā€™t sit and read for long currently so canā€™t enjoy readin blogs. Its such an annoyance since thereā€™s so much good information out there.
Iā€™m hoping to improve in time, its very frustration.

3 Likes

It does sound very frustrating, I hope your health can improve as well! Thankfully thereā€™s multiple ways to get good information (like here :wink:) I hope it gets better

3 Likes

Thank you so much. Yeah, here is perfect for finding info in nice succinct blocks :green_heart: love what I can pick up reading posts on here

3 Likes

I like cotton yarns. Iā€™ve used Paintbox sport weight for tops and and I recently used Hoooked for a drapey, loose jumper. Hoooked use recycled materials which is cool.

Cotton and acrylic are machine washable. Wool often needs to be hand washed or washed on a different machine cycle. Acrylic will make a garment more stiff, so if itā€™s a pattern where you want the stitches to be clear or a shape that you want to stand out then acrylic can help with that.

Maybe do a tension square with a yarn you want to try first? Good luck though :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks so much, will definitely check out hoooked, I love the thought of recycled or more exofriendly products :grinning: :blush:

4 Likes

Yes!!!

2 Likes

if ur in the uk hobbycraft do a really nice 50% cotton and 50% acrylic yarn! its very soft and nice to work with :blush: (the best part is its only Ā£3.50 per 100g which i thought was pretty cheap when comparing to other cotton yarns)

3 Likes