What To Do With Your Yarn Scraps (don't do it actually)

Hi everyone!
I have a very good friend who had given me advice on what to do with your yarn scraps instead of just throwing them in the trash. She said to separate the yarn strands and put them in a bag to wait for Spring to come, and then put them all in a pile under a tree in your yard. She said it also works with hair, like when you empty out a brush, if you get my gist. She knows this because she used to have a dog that shed like crazy and it was under 1 tree, and the birds used them in their nests! I tried it but only with a little bit of green yarn, maybe the birds didn’t see them? Or maybe it just happens in her yard not mine? Anyways I’m planning to give her the bags and bags full of yarn scraps I did this to in the spring and put them under a tree in her yard and see what happens :wink: If you live in a place with lots of trees and birds I would suggest doing this! :blush: And one more thing - it’s ok if there are knots in there the birds don’t care :wink:

14 Likes

Thats reslly cool i wanna try that I do usually throw them away or save them to stuff amigurumi with!!

4 Likes

OMG I’m doing this!!! Is it ok to use acrylic yarn?

4 Likes

Yes! Any yarn I believe! :blush: I use acrylic a lot with this : )

4 Likes

Warning: The National Audubon Society says Do Not Do this for the birds’ safety.

" Human hair: According to Gordon, human hair is a triple threat for birds: It’s long, thin, and strong. These characteristics can be a deadly combination, allowing the hair to easily ensnare a bird’s leg or wing and sever it. “You can wrap [hair] around your finger and cut your circulation off,” she says.

Yarn or string: Long strands of yarn and string can wrap around a bird. Hatchlings are particularly susceptible to such entanglements, Gordon says. Yarn in a nest can get caught around a baby bird and cut off circulation as it grows."

16 Likes

Ok! Thank you so much! I don’t want to hurt the birds, so I won’t be putting yarn out! But if you want to use up those scraps, use them as stuffing!

6 Likes

Oh my! I didn’t know this, thank you!!! I’ll probably use it for stuffing instead : )

7 Likes

I use mine to stuff animals

7 Likes

I think if you cut it up smaller it isn’t dangerous

4 Likes

That’s what I thought too but I really don’t know :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I save my bits of yarn for stuffing items I make. I’m paranoid about my yarn ends, especially if they’re not 100% wool. I wouldn’t want my cats to eat them because they can block cats tiny intestines and don’t show up on an x-ray so they would need an operation, which I don’t want to happen! At least if it’s 100% wool and they eat a tiny end it would just be a big hairball!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

wow! i’ll give it a go. i hate to throw away yarn and since it’s almost spring (where i live), i could do this. your friend is very creative @NoKittenAroundStudio

3 Likes

Please don’t! @Karametra looked into it and it can choke the birds! Use it as stuffing instead!!! I know @NoKittenAroundStudio meant no harm because it does sound like a great idea but the yarn could harm hatchlings :sob:

4 Likes

I started doing this with my hairbrush a long while back. Not actually sure if it’s helped the birds or not, but it’s easy to do with 3+ft of hair!:joy:

For a while i was saving my yarn scraps to use as stuffing.

3 Likes

I’ve heard it works with hair too : )

2 Likes

This is amazing!! Also another one if you don’t want to leave them outside, you can use your yarn scraps (if you have enough) to fill amigurmi and other things :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes!!

1 Like

@NoKittenAroundStudio, when I read your post, i wanted to try it, but when I read what @Karametra posted, i changed my mind. I don’t want to hurt the birds!

4 Likes

I had quite a few scraps from various project which were cluttering up my Tinker Box, so I found a heart frame, and since I already roll my skeins in balls, I was halfway there. A little hot glue, some scrap lace and you can make a nice wall hanging. The scraps I cut, when I weave in ends can be used for our feathered friends.

6 Likes

I save any that are longer than 1.5 inch for a friend that does rug hooking. She can use them.

6 Likes